How much would you pay for PET/CHICKEN SITTING ?

I pay $10-$25 a day. The guy who actually stays at our house, gives meds, feeds, walks, and plays with the animals gets $20-25/day. He really works with the animals, checks them over carefully every day, etc - AND he vacuums and washes dishes.
big_smile.png
The kid next door that just collects eggs, feeds and waters gets $10/day.

Incidentally, I have 2 German Shepherds, 1 old cat, 2 kittens, and 6 chickens, so there are lots of animals that have to be fed/watered/exercised, etc. I figured, even at $25/day, it's cheaper than boarding even one animal, so it's a win-win.
yippiechickie.gif

We watched our friends' chickens (six barred rock hens) for a couple weeks. Per their request checked them every other day, made sure they had free access to clean food and water, and collected the eggs for ourselves. It was summer, and they had a fenced run, so we didn't have to shut them in every night. Although one of them kept getting out, and apparently had trouble finding her way back IN again! So we helped her with that.

We did it for free because they were friends, and it was a bonus to be able to keep the eggs! It also induced us to want some chickens of our own. I had no idea they were so friendly, and they made such cute noises! (no roosters!)

So now we wait till March, when the chicks come in...

We do get a house sitter when we leave town, the dogs and the cat require a little more attention, and security at the house is a good thing. That's worth paying for, and we can usually find friends of my daughters or young single adults from church that are willing for a reasonable price. We usually pay about $20-30 bucks a day.

We have 8 birds and yes we have paid to have them taken care of while we are gone. Most of the time we trade animal sitting duties with neighbors. We watch their animals and they watch ours. I would appreciate knowing there is someone around that would be willing to care for our animals for a fee as an alternative.

When I pay someone to stay at the house it is 20 dollars a day and I make sure that the fridge is stocked with their preferences in mind. If it is winter then it is a bit more because they have to deal with more work to make sure the chickens are warm. I have two dogs, a cat, a turtle, some fish, and then 4 chickens, now 5. Our dogs and sometimes the cat need meds so I have to make sure the person is capable of that. Most of the time we take the dogs with us and it is just checking on the chickens and the cat twice daily. Then I trade with someone for watching their pets. We have a laid back dogs and most of the time friends just bring their dog(s) and we watch them here. Usually we bring each other gifts for doing this or extra produce from our gardens since we all grow different things. If I have to find a new person, I'm a grad student in an anthropology department. There is always somebody that either doesn't have cable, the ability to have a pet in their house or needs a bit of cash that will do it.

I made extra money through high school and undergraduate by staying at people's houses or watching their pets. I specialized in pets with medical issues because of vet tech experience. Then the rate that I charged depended on number of pets, types of problems and whether I stayed at the house. I have charged anywhere from 300/weekend to 20/day. There was an incredibly mean cat that needed insulin injections and the other cats attacked you once you caught the diabetic cat. It took at least two people to handle. That was the 300/weekend. We kept expecting her to find someone else... If I stayed at your house I cared for all the pets, handled the meds and made vet appts. A good cleaning (vacuuming, sweeping, dishes and a wipe down) was included free of charge. My main selling point was that they couldn't tell that I had been there.

I could do that with both hands tied behind my back, though I would prefer that not be one of the conditions. Yep, for the right monetary incentive, I'd do that job and do it well.

I found our petsitter by googling 'pet sitting + name of my city'. It worked! Double checked with the vet's office (he said he knew folks there - he does). Checked his references, thoroughly - remember, this stranger is coming into our HOME, when we're not here. He gets a key for the duration of our vacation, he gets his check when he turns in his key. That way, no questions about who has keys to our home.
thumbsup.gif
Service is professional (insurance - checked; Better Business Bureau - checked; license - checked) and his references provided me with reassurance about this individual.

For our 2 cats, 6 box turtles, 1 parrotlet and 6 chickens - cost was $18/day. Visited twice a day - am and pm. Loaned them a copy of my Storey's 'how to care for chickens' book, as there is a boom of chicken owners in our area requesting their services and they needed advice and knowledge. Also referred them to here! They gave the book back with the key and said they bought a copy!

Yes, knowing pets are well cared for is priceless in my opinoin. Vacations are required for sanity - to visit far flung family members and keep those connections for our kids.

Nope, nothing 'wierd' to request for care for any of our critters - I leave plenty of fruits/veggies in fridge well marked - each pet gets their own 'shelf'. They seem to do an awesome job as last time, the cats didn't notice we were home until suppertime! Although I'm not sure they fed the mealworms from the farm on the counter...seemed like it hadn't been touched - ok. I can see how some folks might think that's a bit out there.
sickbyc.gif

Works well when you find a gem of an individual. Good luck!

We pay $20 - $25 per day for housesitting, dog sitting (2) and chicken sitting (4). It adds up if we're gone for a couple or more nights, but it's certainly worth the piece of mind. We also offer some eggs if they want as well.

We're lucky to have a nice neighbor who helps us out all the time, even makes sure the chickens get locked up when I work late. I just keep her in eggs. If I had to pay, I couldn't imagine paying less than $20 per visit, or $80 per day to stay. We have 4 dogs, 20 chickens, 9 ducks, and a few caged birds inside.

Back
Top Bottom