how often do geese lay??

I know this is an OLD thread but I'll try anyway hopefully someone is still checking in...

I have three Ebdem geese suppose to be all female, The one who's a bit larger then the other two turned out to be a male, go figure.

They are now just pushing 6 months old, and with fall and winter setting in I wasn't expecting to get anything from them or my ducks who are the same age.

The funny part is so far it's only been a week since they started laying and I've gotten 9 duck eggs and .. what I believe is one goose egg. It's about twice the size of the duck eggs so...

I guess what I question is, should I expect some more eggs from the geese, seeing their still young and winter is rolling in.

My goose started laying in October when she had turned six months old, and she has faithfully been producing an egg circa every other day ever since. Yesterday morning she brought the total count up to 22 eggs.

So far there has been no problems with eggbinding, although she did produce two shellless eggs during the first two weeks of laying.

The only "problem" is that since we are two people sharing her, and she built her nest in my goose partners yard, I have to take her there when she wants to lay. She's really good at telling me when time is up, though; she'll even wake me up in the middle of the night if necessary - she sleeps in my house when she's not laying.

She's a pet goose and enjoys spending her non-laying evenings in my house. I guess that her exposure to light and heat at night is partly responsible for her laying in the wrong time of the year, but from what I've read it's not unusual at all for geese to have a shorter laying spree in fall. And some geese will start their spring laying really early, continuing to lay through the winter.

As the ganders are not in their spring mood, the eggs will not be fertilized, but they're great for cooking and baking.

It depends on the breed really ,white chinese then to lay out of the season alot and sometimes other goose breeds follow which i once had but they never sat on the eggs but all of the sudden layed in autumn and havent done since and geese start laying past eight months (spring time normally) but dont lay much in the first year anyway

Hello Again everyone,

My Girls answered my question, all by their little ole selves'

So far I've gotten what I believe to be three eggs from my geese, the picture is a goose egg laid on (of all days) my wife's B-Day.

My oldest goose Macy I caught making a nest and within about 15 minutes popped out this egg. 2 Dec 2013 She has since layed another just today 6 Dec 2013.

So now I'm in a dilemma of wondering should I just leave them for her to continue laying more or take them. As the photo shows I did take the first one from 2 Dec,

But it's oddly really cold now, even for N. Texas today it's holding about 27 degrees. My girls are young and the eggs are I'm guessing probably not fertile, so ..........

Should I roll the dice and let her keep adding to her nest HOPEING she sits and tries to hatch them or take them and wait till next year.

Just for S&G's I'm leaning toward leaving them and hopeing I get some young gosslings come spring, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hello Again everyone,

My Girls answered my question, all by their little ole selves'

So far I've gotten what I believe to be three eggs from my geese, the picture is a goose egg laid on (of all days) my wife's B-Day.

My oldest goose Macy I caught making a nest and within about 15 minutes popped out this egg. 2 Dec 2013 She has since layed another just today 6 Dec 2013.

So now I'm in a dilemma of wondering should I just leave them for her to continue laying more or take them. As the photo shows I did take the first one from 2 Dec,

But it's oddly really cold now, even for N. Texas today it's holding about 27 degrees. My girls are young and the eggs are I'm guessing probably not fertile, so ..........

Should I roll the dice and let her keep adding to her nest HOPEING she sits and tries to hatch them or take them and wait till next year.

Just for S&G's I'm leaning toward leaving them and hopeing I get some young gosslings come spring, but I'm not holding my breath.
From all I have read first egg usually aren't fertile. also I don't think I'd want my goose to be trying to raise a brood in the winter months they would have a better chance of survival come spring.
smile.png
Congrats on the eggs.

I reckon it´s best to take them away as they´re not only most likely infertile, but also small. And when the goose sits she loses weight, so she´d be better off keeping her weight on her for the cold months.
One of my geese was sat on her nest there shivering poor thing because of the cold weather back in August (winter) when we had some cold nights. Just imagine where you are......so much colder.
AND If you take the eggs away, you´ll get some nice omelettes and she´ll get to sit on eggs when it´s a better time for her. You´ll enjoy the goslings much more too when the weather is better.

I reckon it´s best to take them away as they´re not only most likely infertile, but also small. And when the goose sits she loses weight, so she´d be better off keeping her weight on her for the cold months.
One of my geese was sat on her nest there shivering poor thing because of the cold weather back in August (winter) when we had some cold nights. Just imagine where you are......so much colder.
AND If you take the eggs away, you´ll get some nice omelettes and she´ll get to sit on eggs when it´s a better time for her. You´ll enjoy the goslings much more too when the weather is better.
you say it so much better than me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom