How often do raccoons attack during the day?

I had a bobcat that got a chicken during the day once. I remember someone bought chickens from me and when I went out 30 minutes later I found a wing on the ground. In broad daylight. Pulled it right through the fence.

If you're not going to kill it, don't bother trapping it. "Relocating" it can potentially spread disease like rabies or distemper, and you'd be dumping your problem on someone else. (Please don't say "I'd drive it way out in the country and let it loose." I live "way out in the country" and don't want your chicken-killing, trapwise coon out here.)

I am aware that it doesn't really solve the issue. But I cannot shoot this coon. I don't have a gun and I don't know how to shoot one and I am not going to buy one. I am aware that I could drown it, but I don't have a trash can large enough. I also don't have anywhere to dispose of the body. I don't relish the idea of going out to some piece of woods and digging a grave, I must say. (My little yard is 1/3 of an acre. I don't really want to a dig a coon a grave in it.)​

Last edited:
I don't have a dog and have no interest in getting one. I'm also allergic to them (but not to chickens--yes, they test for that in a comprehensive allergy panel!)

Quote:
My husband said almost the exact same thing to me today.
wink.png

To answer your question, yes, I think you should be concerned about the possibility a racoon will take a chicken during the day. When I lived in a more suburban area I saw racoons out during the day fairly regularly. Now that I'm in a rural area, I never see them during the day - but it doesn't mean they're not there, along with bobcats, skunks, etc. I think that the closer these animals are to civilzation, the more accustomed they are to people and they stick less to their natural nocturnal instincts. Heck - I've seen the 'dawn/dusk' predators out hunting at 10am. Not only that, but you've got the free ranging chickens as a draw and children in the yard - coons are vicious and nasty and I'd be concerned about the possibility of one of them attacking you or a child if it was trying to get to the chickens.
Do you have animal control that you can call?

Would animal control really care about a wild coon living in the woods behind my house that has not harmed anyone or anything at this time? I thought you had to have a pretty serious nuisance on your hands for that.

I was suggesting contacting them because they know your area and could be someone there you could call for advice. I don't know enough about your situation but if you don't have a gun and aren't going to trap and re-home (agreeing with other posters that it's not really a viable option), then maybe calling animal control to discuss the situation might be beneficial since they're local and know the area and the wildlife.
Good luck -

Sorry, I was at work all day.

First was afternoon before 3pm. Skinny lone raccoon.
Second was evening about an hour before dusk. About 1 1/2 hours before dark. 1 adult 2 young. Resident raccoons.

I frequently see raccoons and possums during the day around here. Only once saw a possum that acted sick, several years ago.

I am squarely in suburbia.

Imp

Quote:
I am aware that it doesn't really solve the issue. But I cannot shoot this coon. I don't have a gun and I don't know how to shoot one and I am not going to buy one. I am aware that I could drown it, but I don't have a trash can large enough. I also don't have anywhere to dispose of the body. I don't relish the idea of going out to some piece of woods and digging a grave, I must say. (My little yard is 1/3 of an acre. I don't really want to a dig a coon a grave in it.)

double bag them put them in the trash Our landfill takes them here

Quote:
I don,t believe they are nocturnal just opportunistic mostly when ever people are not around they hunt some suburban coon because they are not hunted or trapped lose even this fear they had of humans

Back
Top Bottom