How often do u change water dishes

Chloeross8

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
Hi everyone i was just wondering how often yous wash or change their water dishes, i have 3, 3 litre water containers placed around my garden and i take them in every morning wash them and give them nice fresh cold water, how often do you all do it?

It kind of depends how dirty they get, or if the water freezes in the winter. During the summer, I usually change the water every other day. If the water is dirty before that, I just change it earlier.
During the winter, I sometimes have to change the water several times in one day because it freezes.

I mostly use a five-gallon bucket with water nipples on the bottom. I only put one or two gallons in at a time, otherwise it's too heavy to hang. I change it every third day or so. Sometimes I also put in a gravity waterer, the kind you see in feed stores, for varying reasons. That I change and scrub out daily, as it doesn't hold as much water and is easier to clean. Also because they kick bedding and crap in it.

I clean them with my hand and water and refresh daily and then deep scrub with soap and water once a week.

My outside water pails get fresh water in the morning and dumped when I lockup at night.
In a heatwave I'll dump and refill once or twice daily.
In the winter I use rubber bowls outside and dump ice and refill as needed.
I have a galvanized waterer inside coop. In the winter the waterer sits on a heated base. GC

Back
Top Bottom