How often do you add ACV to the water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lady of McCamley, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Curious. I tend to keep it in the water pretty much all the time...the raw unfiltered with the mother...and of course only plastic waterer.

But I wonder is there a point they can get too much? (I use about a tablespoon or two per gallon). For too long?

I read somewhere in a passing comment that it can leech calcium...not sure why that would be so...I think keeping the gut in optimum acidity with flora would help with nutrient absorption.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
    Lady of McCamley

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I use it about two days a week (generally change water every day or every other at least). I pretty much do that as a compromise because I really don't know at what point it will be too much. Is there any real research out there about its affect on chickens? I do think it helps with preventing sour crop, and it seems to make them drink more water when it is hot which is a good thing I think.

3. Mohawk Chickens

Mohawk Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Akwesasne, NY
    Any other comments? I know I read some others on other threads, just for the life of me can not find them. Going to start my flock on it tonight, and would like more information on it. Thanks.

4. goodb

goodb Chillin' With My Peeps

Since I'm new to chickens and believe in the benefits of ACV, my counsel was to add about a tablespoon with nearly every fill of 1-2 gallons.

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I think you are right about the gut acidity, and I have never heard of the calcium leeching idea. I can't think of any reason that would be the case. I add ACV to their feed several times a week and sometimes to their water. It helps keep them healthy and I'm happy with that.

Darwinchooks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by