How to keep water fresh for up to two weeks without using a hose?

Can you set up more than one watering system? Put the waterer in the cleanest spot possible where it is not near the ground (dirt, mud, leaves) and not where shavings will get kicked into it. Another option is downsize the waterer (if you trust him to refill it when it gets empty). If you downsize it so it needs to be refilled every couple of days, then he'd need to freshen it up anyways. If you're worried that he wouldn't notice though, don't take that chance.
I, personally, have set up my birds during travel to take care of themselves while I'm gone. In my biggest coop, I'll put multiple feeders and waterers to last them as long as I've estimated those things will last for. Then I hire someone to occasionally come down to check on them. My waterers are all hanging waterers, so my biggest fear (as imagined), is that the waterers will be hung wrong and drain out. I highly point out how the waterers are supposed to be hung and deeply warn the caretaker of what can happen if the waterer is hung wrong. Thankfully, I've had success so far. Also, on at least one of the caretakers I've hired, I've found that they took better care of my birds than they did their own animals which I believe is because they were doing it for someone else, and possibly because they were being paid. If you're not already, maybe you should offer to pay your brother if he will take care of your birds correctly? Because he's your brother, you might be able to threaten him that you'll pay less if he doesn't do them correctly. (Please keep in mind though, if he's not experienced in taking care of chickens, you'll have to give him some mercy and leeway and not expect him to be the chicken keeper of the year.)
I can set up three watering systems for them. Two 5-gallon buckets and one 32-oz container that's their original one. I've noticed sometimes they kick that one and drain the water by the end of the day so that's why I set up the other two. Just concerned about bacteria since it's hot out and we have baby chicks so their immune system isn't as strong.

He's actually the one who brought the chickens home then abandoned them and now claims he can't take care of them, not even something as simple as changing their water. 🙄 I think I'll just ask my mom to stop by at least once.

Have you noticed your water bill going up since you started doing this? So you can turn your fountain on but it won't take up more water than they need? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I've never used it before and that made me paranoid.
Nope, it only fills when it needs it. They have a built in valve that connects to the hose.

It might be too late for me to get this now but I'll set it up next time I'm out of town. I already have the bucket and waterer. Does it look like all I need are the float valve and hose? Anyone have any idea? @MGG

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230719-133354.png
    Screenshot_20230719-133354.png
    699.9 KB · Views: 12
I can set up three watering systems for them. Two 5-gallon buckets and one 32-oz container that's their original one. I've noticed sometimes they kick that one and drain the water by the end of the day so that's why I set up the other two. Just concerned about bacteria since it's hot out and we have baby chicks so their immune system isn't as strong.

He's actually the one who brought the chickens home then abandoned them and now claims he can't take care of them, not even something as simple as changing their water. 🙄 I think I'll just ask my mom to stop by at least once.
Ok, I'd only do the two 5-gallon waterers. If they are in a clean place where nothing is getting into them, then they should be fine while you're gone. I've found that my waterers that are kept outside grows stuff a lot faster than the ones in the coop, and if the waterer is hanging- the better. The thing that gets the waterer so dirty inside is more the stuff that gets into it than anything else.

It might be too late for me to get this now but I'll set it up next time I'm out of town. I already have the bucket and waterer. Does it look like all I need are the float valve and hose? Anyone have any idea? @MGG
I'm not sure how that one would work. Do you have that exact thing? If so I'd think the float and hose would have come with it.

I think if it were me I would leave them with the nipples - mine taught themselves and the cups and their regular waterer and ask your mom to completely change out the one with cups and their regular one after a few days. She can ignore the nipple one (but mark the level so you know if they were using it).​

Back
Top Bottom