How often do you candle your eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Newbie_Hatcher, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Newbie_Hatcher

Newbie_Hatcher Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2010
    I'm on day 15 and have so far candled on day 7 and 14, but was wondering how often others candle their eggs?

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I only candled on day ten and before lockdown - but this was my first hatch - worked for me!

3. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I did mine today (day 5) only because I was so excited that my new led flashlight arrived and I just HAD to see what was going on. My first hatch yes I am over excited [​IMG]

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    As often as feel like [​IMG] If I am really excited about a batch that could be every other day [​IMG]

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I only candle on day 18 but I smell the incubator every day.

6. Newbie_Hatcher

Nov 10, 2010
    Ahaa, i'm the same, I get excited and have to talk myself out of candling them [​IMG] I might be tempted to do it again tonight, as there at the stage of development where you really see them moving. I HATE THE WAIT! [​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I always hatch brown eggs & have tried to candle but never can see anything. So, I just wait. I've got 48 eggs in the bator now & its day 13. Eight more days & I'll find out whats what. I do hope they all hatch because I have them sold already.

8. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I candle at around day 10 or 11 and again at day 18.

9. chickpeaz

chickpeaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Central PA
    I usually only candle on day 10. If the eggs are really dark-shelled and I can't see anything on d10, I will sometimes try again around d14, but I really dislike handling them a lot so I try to leave them alone as much as possible.

10. Newbie_Hatcher

Nov 10, 2010
    My eggs are duck eggs, and are relatively easy to candle, though I'm having to use a cheap torch atm as I lost my LED candler [​IMG]

I think I will candle tonight, and take/post some pictures [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by