How often do you change pool water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bernie131, Oct 18, 2019.

1. bernie131

bernie131 Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
    I have 3 ducks and wondered how often I should change the pool water? I have been doing it weekly, it makes such a mess but they love it when I change the water, the mud puddles left and the fresh water.

Geggs and ValerieJ like this.
  2. Sagey_7878

Sagey_7878 Songster

Sep 1, 2017
    Australia
    Change it accordingly to when it becomes too dirty.

Geggs and ValerieJ like this.
  3. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    I don't have ducks, and have no idea. I just know how I am. I would change it daily. My neighbor changes it every two days and it always looks too dirty to me. LOL I'm a germaphobe.

bernie131 and Sagey_7878 like this.
  4. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Pullarius

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    Not until it looks scummy or too dirty to see the bottom. I have to bail it out by hand. It's a time-consuming process and hard on the back, so I do it as little as possible. Besides, they have smaller bowls they swim in anyway, even if I do keep it clean. Brat ducks.

bernie131, ValerieJ and Sagey_7878 like this.
  5. Geggs

Geggs Chirping

Aug 30, 2018
    Hi bernie and all. We have just under 3 acres. I have 5 geese, 2 ducks, 3 chickens. The ducks have a waterer which is the smaller black cement trough from a big box store with an inverted 7 gallon water jug tipped into it onto a couple of blocks so it gurgles water out as they drink. The jug itself and a couple of blocks prevent them from climbing in this but leave plenty of room to drink and dip their heads. They also have a "swimming pool" which is a poly water trough about 4 feet long, 2 feet wide and a foot deep and very sturdy. I made them a little ramp on one side, and I put one of those retaining wall type blocks [not the huge ones, but bigger than a brick] on the other end so they have something to help launch themselves to get out. Now that it's October and the weather is cooler, I change the water in both of these on Mondays and Thursdays. In Summer, it's every other day. I have to scoop out a couple of buckets of water from the trough before I can tip it, then I rinse it and fill it with a hose. The fill time is about 12 minutes. I have a chair out there, and I just sit and check my email on my phone while it's filling. The geese usually come over and chat for a while, then go play in the fresh water and bite the hose and flap and squawk and dip and dive etc. I love watching them. This is our first year with them. Not sure what we'll do this Winter as it gets -30F here. I just bought another trough with a drain hole in it and will try making it a frame filled with some kind of insulation. Maybe that foam stuff. If I set the trough on a layer of that and then fill in around it with foam too, with a hose leading out of the drain hole and a ball valve, and insulate that too, and have a cover on it during the coldest weather, I'm hoping that will do it. we'll see. I've read that they do not "REALLY" need a pond at all. But they sure love it!
    Originally, I changed the water every day, but that was just too much to manage. Either the water fowl had to go, or I had to scale down. [I have found the chickens easier, but the waterfowl are very fun, and my lady duck has started laying!] So far, the scaling down has worked great. If a person wanted to change it every time it looked dirty, you'd have to do it every couple of hours....
    Good Luck!

bernie131 likes this.
  6. Mylied

Mylied Crowing

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    My 3 have a kiddie pool and I change it every day. Even then there's a good couple inches of mud in it. Dirty dirty ducks.

bernie131 likes this.
  7. Steven Bussell

Steven Bussell Songster

May 5, 2019
    Bay Area Calif
    I have a 50 gallon pond. I never change the water. I do have to add 10 gallons or so a day because they splash it out.
    But I have almost a 200 gallons filter system running 24 hours a day.
    I clean the filter cloth once or twice a day because I want super clear water for them

Geggs and bernie131 like this.
  8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Approximately once a week.
    They also get fresh bucket of water daily. I have moved their pools so they don’t have 24/7 access to it anymore. It’s helped with the overall stink and mess in their small run.

bernie131 likes this.
  9. bernie131

bernie131 Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
    That is what I do. Change their water daily in their little mini pools then once a week in the kiddie pool. It usually takes about 3-4 days before I can't see the bottom. I find if I move the pool and there is grass around the pool instead of mud then it stays clean longer,

10. FathertoFeathers

FathertoFeathers Songster

Aug 26, 2019
    Tennessee
    I have seven ducks and three pools. I usually change my pools every two or three days but sometimes longer. It really depends on how dirty it is. If I can still see the bottom I leave it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: