How often do you change the water in duck pool?

yook2000

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
New Haven County
My ducks seem to like the clean water in their pool. Now they only swim in the pool when I change the water. While after 2 or 3 hours, the water get dirty and they don't want to jump in again. How often do you chang change the water in the pool? I don't want to get a big water bill in next month.

Small kiddie pool was changed daily.
Large kiddie pool (with slide) I changed every 4-5 days. When it was hot, I couldn't make it past day 4 as green sludge would form and the ducks would avoid it like the plague.

Their pond...
I think it has been 3 weeks since I drained and refilled.
I'll likely do it again soon so I can keep up with the cleaning of poop with the new pond vac I purchased (so I can really try it out and return it if it won't work as I hope). Today it was more brown than green, but the ducks didn't care.

Mine have a 60 litre (maybe about 15 gallon) trough in their pen and I drain and refill that every day. They also have a bigger kiddie pool out in the yard and that gets changed every few days.

Ps. I have two pens, one with 5 birds and one with three.

Last edited:
Right now we have a small kiddy pool that is changed every other day but fresh water is added to the dirty water daily just so they think it is new water
wink.png

Twice a day when I'm home, only once a day during the week when I work.

A SMALL splash of bleach, 2 tablespoons, does help to keep it fresh without being a problem -- no more chlorine than would be found in chlorinated municipal water systems. I'm on a private well, so the water doesn't have chlorine added out of the tap.

When I had my 2 big pekin drakes, I used to refill their 25 gallon concrete mixing tub every other day. I would top it off every day after they splashed half the water out.

Since I have a lot of ducks...(18) using a small kiddie pool and a large kiddie pool...also a rubbermaid small tub...I find I need to change them daily.I also have 3 wells on the property though so I don't run into the water bill issue...just the electricity to run the hose.I would say you wouldn't need to change it more than once a day! Maybe keep a smaller container for "drinking" water that is quick and easy to refill as well?

I change ours every other day when I use the bigger pool for our 4 ducks. It is pretty brown by the time it needs to get changed! I also have a bunch of flat pans with fresh water all over the place, some only large enough for drinking/dunking and some large enough (in their mind) to bathe in. That way if they NEED clean water at least there is some till the pool gets changed.
The small turtle sandbox pool that I used to use was changed daily.

For nine runners, I have one 2'x3'x8" concrete mixing pan for swimming. It's changed once a day, except for really hot (90F+) days, when I change water around 2 p.m. so they can cool off (well water).

I have a three gallon steel salad bowl I also clean and refill once a day, and a six quart pot for overnight.

Back
Top Bottom