how often do you clean out the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MaureenL128, Jun 7, 2010.

1. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    if using wood shavings as bedding on the floor, how often do you guys clean out everything and replace it with new shavings? just curious.

2. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    I just cleaned ours today. Only had chickens for a year now but every six months seams to work for me.

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    When I used straw it was every couple months and I'd have to remove everything. Now with pine shavings I plan on twice a year (sping/fall). I do add DE and some new shavings once in awhile.

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Teh same, twice a year, once in July, again in January

5. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Salem / Redgranite
    My coop isn't finished yet, but when I finally get chickens I think I'm going to use the deep litter method and clean it every 6 months (March and September, most likely) along with scraping the poop board every day or two.

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
  7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    In my bird cages I clean once a week. For a full clean, I'll do that 4 times a year for hygiene.

8. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I have cement floor in my coop and use a thin layer of shavings on top (keeps the poop from sticking to the cement) anyway, I clean it out about ever 4 weeks.

9. anbhean

anbhean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2010
    Colorado
    My floor on the inside run is cement as well so I could probably get away with monthly-- but I do it weekly for now. The outside run though, probably once a month is enough since they just naturally turn it around and mulch it into the chips and dirt. As for the coop and the "deep cleaning"/ mite spraying etc-- I'm thinking I'll do it twice a year, Spring and Fall. Of course I've only had my hens for a few months now... so pretty new and may decide different in the future!

10. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Twice a year works well for me too! I do it as soon as a warm weekend hits in early spring and then late fall before Winter approaches I do it again! We have a wood floor and I use wood chips. I use stall dry now PDZ to help with any odors/keep things dry but otherwise use the deep litter method and it works good for us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by