How Often Do You Clean Under Elevated Pens

quailmale

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Brevard County Florida
My Pens are 3 ft off the ground and If I start to have fly problems i use Golden Maldrin and sprinkle it on the ground. I am due for my Game Farm inspection on Monday and the inspector on the phone several times mentioned about cleaning under the pens. For those that have the License's do you clean or not. Thanks
idunno.gif

If the inspector suggested that you clean under the pens, then I would do so. They can be very picky and disease is one of the big reasons that some states require a license. So if I were you, I wouldn't take any chances. Suit up, shovel in hand and start scooping.
smile.png

Quote:
X2
And it may be wise to keep it up and not let it get to a point of flies. There may come a day when you don't have time for last minute cleaning because they are coming.

Quote:
where do you get the golden maldrin? i have chickens that free range and when i clean under the quail pens i put the dropping in an area that is accessible to the chickens and i am assuming this would kill the chickens, so what do you do with your droppings? i usually clean out from under my pens about once a week and put down pine shavings.

Quote:
if it was me, i'd take nice top soil, and till it in with the poo, making it very rich, then using it around gardens, once tilled it, you won't be able to see it anyway.

Quote:
X2
And it may be wise to keep it up and not let it get to a point of flies. There may come a day when you don't have time for last minute cleaning because they are coming.

I live in Florida, its warm enough that if poop hits the ground there is instant flie's, I just keep them down with the Golden Maldrin, And I spread all my droppings from the Rabbits-Turkeys-Quail in my garden area.
bun.gif

I cannot use pine shavings 1- they hold moisture 2- I would need alot to cover several 128 cu. ft. pens
jumpy.gif

I used to work in a commercial Chicken Egg house ( 150,000 birds ), they only remove the poo every 6 months, but turn it every 30 days to release the ammonia, thats what I been doing and it composts itself into brown loose soil with no smell, but to make the Feds happy I'll clean it this once then go back to normal, it never smells unless we get several inches if rain. I'm going to ask if the commercials can do it can I?
idunno.gif

Thanks
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Game Inspector just left, everything passed with flying colors, asked about commercial chicken farms and manure removal, simple answer is Game Commission does not regulate livestock-chickens are livestock, Quail are Game Birds thus regulated. So now I'm legal, Mom would have been proud-her son is finally legal.
lau.gif

You are technically required to clean pans daily to avoid getting a fine. That's what my inspector told me. He doesn't care how the building looks or the floors but the cages and pans need to be clean.

Back
Top Bottom