How often do you clean your poop boards?

How many Birds?
Adult, adolescent, chicks?
Small or Medium or large breed?
What is the total length of your roost?
What is the size of the coop?
How often do you clean it?

I have a total of 13 birds in one coop. I have 3 pairs in cages. All are 6 to9 months.
I have 1 huge orphington 1 EE, 1 bearded silkie and 1 non bearded, 1 frizzle 2 Onagadori's bantam breed. So most of mine are smaller breeds
My coop inside is 14' x 6' and they have a run of16' X 14' covered and attached. Their roost is about 4'

I rarely clean it because they rarely use it, the roost tht is. They perfer the nesting shelf. I keep straw in it and every couple of days I rake off the poop and fluff up the remaianng straw. There are now 3 nest boxes on the shelf. I clean out the poop every couple of days. When the bedding ( straw and wood chips) get low I replace them. I have no "poop boards". They do their business where ever they please anyway. In the summer I rake it up and scoop it out once a week or more often if needed due to smell and flies. When its cold I put down hay or straw on the floor and they scratch through it and pretty much keep from having a build up of poop piles. The chickens in the cages are hung on the walls so their feed that they scratch out lands on the floor and the chickens not in cages scratch around and eat it so in cold weather the most I clean is the nesting shelf.

They are often let out to free range, almost everyday. I asked DH why he put up the run if he's gonna let them out all the time. He says saves on feed and it's healthier for them so the healthy part sold me.

5 adolescent chickens of standard breeds
Coop is 6 x 8 ft.
Two stepped roosts are 50 in. long
I scrape my dropping boards daily, and pick up droppings from the bedding as I see them (so could be several times per day...I'm out there frequently)
I spot replace soiled bedding, so I'll probably only do a full replacement a few times per year
I rinse off dropping boards about once per month...roosts will get rinsed when I do the bedding toss out

Thanks everyone.

I won't say I often I clean my poop boards....
sickbyc.gif
.... After everyone saying they clean them everyday. I feel so sheepish.

With only 6 birds in a 8X8 coop on a 8 foot long roost I think I can clean it a little less often.
tongue.png

I guess as long as it doesn't smell bad I'm good.

Aww, come on, it's your thread! How often?

I also have 6 chickens in an 8 by 8 coop with 8 foot long poop board. I clean it off about every 2-3 days. It is covered with Stall Dry.
Those that don't clean their coop every day are probably feeling a bit intimidated now....

Quote:
In the winter it is very helpful to haul out the poo DAILY ..... to reduce humidity and decrease likelyhood of frostbite, as well!

We like DRY, right Pat (patandchickens) ?? (See, that's who I learned from!) LOL

OK.... Here's one of my coops:

How many Birds? 40
Adult, adolescent, chicks? adolescent
Small or Medium or large breed? yes (LOL)
What is the total length of your roost? four 8 foot roosts, plus others
What is the size of the coop? 12' x 16'
How often do you clean it? I clean the droppings board daily

Quote:
Well.... I'll just say I work during the week and it is dark when I leave and dark when i get home. So that only leaves me with 2 days of working during the daylight. I know you must think I'm raising pigs over here and not chickens.

the coop is very dry and ventilated very well. It does not smell. Maybe I should look into DE or Stall dry if things start to get bad.

I'm certainly not going to think poorly of you for not cleaning your droppings board daily, patman75. If it's working for you, then what's not to like?
smile.png

Yeah, daily cleaning offers some extra benefits in terms of improved air quality and lower humidity, and I personally would rather do a teensy bit of easy pleasant work once a day than do what is (to me) a much more annoying and work-like task less-frequently, but if your air quality is good to begin with and your tastes regarding the two types of task are different than mine, then I would say your solution is just as good
tongue.png

(For you, not for me, LOL -- I really DO have to rebuild the other pen's roost so it can have droppings boards, cuz dealing with the pile o poo underneath it in the bedding is increasingly getting on my nerves)

Pat, who also prefers to clean the horse shed daily rather than have a giant horrible task at less-frequent intervals
tongue.png

We have 2 adolescent medium sizes birds. The roost is about 5 feet long and the coop is 8x8. I have a poop board that is covered with linoleum and I also sprinkle pine shavings on top. Right now with winter upon I clean the poop board about 2 twice a week. During the summer and nicer weather I will be cleaning more often. I am doing the deep litter method so the floor is covered with about 8-10 inches of pine shavings. The litter I plan on changing twice a year. Here is a pic of the roost and the coop.

36893_roost.jpg

36893_finished_coop4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom