How often do you dust for mites, etc, and what do you use?

coopncottage

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 22, 2011
Front Range
I've seen several products, and am not sure what to use/how often to use it, and at what age... Any problems with eggs when you treat for external parasites, mites, etc?

Quote:
I use Diatomaceous earth (DE) in and on everything. So far it has been doing the job. If you read some of the other postings you will find that a lot of people use "Sevin 5% Dust". I prefer not to use a pesticide, as of yet, so I am using Diatomaceous earth (DE) or "Perma Gaurd" which is the same thing. Neither one will hurt the eggs. I have 7 month to four year olds and have not had a problem with the DE. Also, give them something to dust in which also helps to keep the parasites/mites etc under control.

I put the DE in the toe end of a nylon stocking and pat it around the area that I want to dust. It works pretty well.

I have a Wyandotte that I adopted. She was a mess when I first got her. She was covered in mites/parasites, scaly leg mites, you name it. I have been dusting her morning and evening. I looked at her this morning and there are just a few mites left on her. I'm still dusting and I probably still will even after their gone. The DE doesn't work as fast as a pesticide, but I really don't want to use pesticides as I stated.
Good Luck

This was my 1st time of dusting for mites. We just hatched our first flock this past summer. I was using DE around the coop and as an available dust bath - but apparently that wasn't enough as I see evidence of mites on my big chicks.

So yesterday I cleaned the coop out and removed all the bedding/food/water/chicks. Gathered each chick up and using a kneehigh with Sevin dust in it and a knot tyed on the other end - I dusted everyone's body- under wings, butt, back, belly and back of neck. I also sprayed the big chicks' feet/legs with tinactin to help made sure I coated them in case of scaley mites. I got everyone good except for my big rooster - who got a quick dusting and spray as he rushed by me.
smile.png

Then I put everyone out and sprayed the inside of the coop with Poultry Protector & dusted with Sevin in there too. Took out and cleaned the roosts off with Lysol wipes. Put new bedding back in the coop after it was dried out a bit sprinkled DE in the areas I knew they liked to lounge around in. Replaced the waterer and added Wazine 17 to it and made sure the food dishes were clean and feed not moldy. Put the chicks back in their coop.

Today I basted everyone's combs and legs with olive oil using my pastry brush (somehow that just seemed wrong) I got everyone except the rooster who will get his tonight after dark when i sneak back out there to treat him.

My advice is not to put in a full thing of bedding as I forgot and did that - you have to repeat the process in 10 days to make sure to catch all the mites. My intention is to repeat the process 10 days from yesterday and hopefully not again until six months from now.

If I didn't have mites I would just keep using the DE all over to deter them -however I'm wanting to take care of it quickly and cleanly - so hopefully this will do it.

DE will not treat mites... It "might" help to prevent them with a clean coop, nesting boxes, roosts, etc.

Sevin Dust IMO is best... There is also a "Garden and Poultry Dust" available at the feed store... both are available at my feed stores... or the Sevin Dust is available at any "Home Improvement" store, Lowe's, Home Depot.

(Get help)... sprinkle each chicken a little under each wing (armpit skin)... a little on top of the low back, where the tail meets the body... more on the vent area, pat it in.
Some also put a little between the shoulder blades.

Sprinkle a little in each clean nesting box.. a little along the roosts.. a little in the "dirt" or sand where they take dirt baths.... if you do have mites, repeat in ten days... if you don't... do that at about once a month anyway.

DE can be added to the floor, dirt, sand... and/or a "sandbox" with DE as well, for them to bathe in.

I treat every 4 months with either Sevin or poultry dust (from the feed store). I too use a tied-off sock and put them on their backs in a cardboard box lined with a trash bag to catch the powder. Wear long sleeves, mask, gloves, take shower afterward. I retreat in 10 days.

Here is the info:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

You must get rid of ALL bedding with treatment. I use sweet pdz on the floor now and treat the whole floor as a poop board (if the poo freezes this doesn't work though). I have less mite infestations now. I just use pine shavings in the nest boxes. For those in cold climates this wouldn't work.

I used to use Sevin, but switched over to using Eprinex. I hated dusting my birds because I felt like I got just as dusted as they did. Eprinex is a topical product which is applied with a dropper. Neater and almost as quick as dusting. No withdrawal period so eggs are safe to eat. It also deals with internal parasites at the same time. The only down side is the cost which is significant. I use it once a year just before winter settles in.

Good luck.

Quote:
Can you post a link to this product? What information I was able to find stated it was for cattle only. Thanks!

Quote:
Can you post a link to this product? What information I was able to find stated it was for cattle only. Thanks!

It is for cattle. One of its off-label uses is on chickens.

Back
Top Bottom