How often do you gather eggs in the coop?

Why don't you wash the eggs? I plan to give away/sell my eggs and also plan to wash them.

There is a protective layer of bloom on the outside that gets washed off with soap and water. If you're giving them away it's good idea to tell friends to wash them in hot water before eating. Some sellers wash the eggs with hot water and antibacterial soap or bleach before bringing them to local sales. If you're going to wash, wash in hot water so that bacteria gets pushed out instead of pulling in.

We collect eggs once a day.

I recently purchased 4 pullets. 2 RIR and 2 Americaunas. 1 of the Americaunas was laying at the time. She laid 3 eggs and then was traumatized by a game hen..... Noone has laid an egg since that time.... Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? They all seem to be happy and get along now that I got rid of the game hen....

Just wondering,

Last edited:
I agree getting to know your girls is a big part of collecting eggs.. I have some hens that are in the egg boxes first thing in the morning, but most lay around 10-12AM. I go to school from 8AM-1230PM and I don't get home until around 1:30PM and I collect eggs then which is about 15 or so. I collect again around 5:00PM and get two or three more at the most. I know you're suppose to collect as often as you can, but if that isn't possible then collect when it's feasible for you.
I do not wash my eggs after I collect them, but I do refrigerate them right away. Although you don't have to but an unrefrigerated egg ages in one day the same amount that a refrigerated egg does in 1 week..

Thanks for more great info. I work at home so am able to check often, and do. In fact it's time to go check soon. Time for their veggies too. I about get attacked when I show up cause they know I have some goodies. Lol..

I found and read through various threads on wash/no wash and have determined it is a personal choice. No further discussion needed for me. Thanks, and I apologize for de-railing this thread a bit.

I recently purchased 4 pullets. 2 RIR and 2 Americaunas. 1 of the Americaunas was laying at the time. She laid 3 eggs and then was traumatized by a game hen..... Noone has laid an egg since that time.... Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? They all seem to be happy and get along now that I got rid of the game hen....

Just wondering,

I'd say just give it time. How long has it been since you got rid of the meany?

We were gathering eggs a couple of times a day. When we went on vacation my sister house sat and was only able to collect once a day. While we were gone the egg production doubled. However since we got back we have gotten almost no eggs. The best day of production was 18 eggs from 19 birds that are ready to lay. Now we are getting only 4-5. Nothing has changed except us coming home from vacation. Any ideas?

I collect eggs once/day, usually by early afternoon. I only have 3 hens laying at the moment, waiting for the rest to start in. They are 4 1/2 months old.

On a somewhat related note - I am considering replacing the top hinged piece of plywood on my nest box with a heavily tinted piece of plexiglass so I can glance in to see if anyone is setting before opening the lid. Has anyone tried something like that? My coop is designed with a double nesting box with top access (see photo below).

I collect eggs once/day, usually by early afternoon. I only have 3 hens laying at the moment, waiting for the rest to start in. They are 4 1/2 months old.

On a somewhat related note - I am considering replacing the top hinged piece of plywood on my nest box with a heavily tinted piece of plexiglass so I can glance in to see if anyone is setting before opening the lid. Has anyone tried something like that? My coop is designed with a double nesting box with top access (see photo below).

You get snow I think I see. We get a good, cold winter here in Ohio and I would not use too many things to allow cold to get in. We are insulating our coop walls soon, so don't have an outside access flap, as you do. I didn't want one, when the Hubby was building it. Plus if you can see in so can a predator, IMO.Our coop is closed and locked tight at night.

Back
Top Bottom