How often do you gather eggs in the coop?

TERRY4

Songster
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Jeromesville, Ohio
I was wondering how many times a day do you go out and check for, and gather up eggs? And once gathered do you wait a bit before putting them in the frig.? I know not to wash them right away, correct? Just checking!

Thank you.

Get to know your girls. I currently have 3 of 6 hens laying. My 2 leghorns lay around 10AM every day. My Jersey lays around 1:30PM every second day. I'm lucky enough to run my own business and work from home, so I spend a lot of time with my chickens just hangin', but I usually collect 2x per day if I have the time.. once after the Leghorns, and then I grab my Jerseys hen.

I usually put mine in the fridge right away, but only because it's part of my routine.. there's nothing wrong with waiting a few hours.

Correct, don't wash them. It's not like you eat the shell anyway. There might be a little bit of brown or poop on it, but it doesn't affect the egg quality. After I use the eggs, I bake the shells at 250 degrees for about 10 minutes, let them cool then crush them up and feed them to the girls for added calcium. They go nuts for them!

Thanks for the input guys. I have one chicken that seems more advanced than the others, so am watching for her to lay an egg soon. I'm not sure why she'd be ahead of the others. They were all about the same age when we got them.

They will lay when they are ready. I have 3 leghorns all the same age and only 1 is exhibiting signs of laying soon. She also has the biggest comb. Another one has about the same size comb and one of them is way behind as far as comb growth. Even though they are the same age, they all mature at different rates.
smile.png

They will lay when they are ready. I have 3 leghorns all the same age and only 1 is exhibiting signs of laying soon. She also has the biggest comb. Another one has about the same size comb and one of them is way behind as far as comb growth. Even though they are the same age, they all mature at different rates.
smile.png

I kinda figured that. Lol.. Yesterday morning one of the nests had the straw disturbed in it. I figure it was her checking it out, possibly. Yes, like yours, she has a bigger, redder comb and waddles, than the rest. Time will tell.

Thanks.

I am a stay at home mom so we spends lots of time outside with the animals. My kids and I check for eggs numerous times throughout the day lol. Its an excuse to hang with the chickens and gives me lots of chances to watch their behavior to make sure no one is stressed, sick, injured etc. I leave my eggs on the counter for days/weeks. I only refridgerate once my basket cant hold anymore eggs or if the temps are too high in the house. Oh and I don't wash eggs unless they are dirty with obvious mud or poop.

Last edited:
I agree getting to know your girls is a big part of collecting eggs.. I have some hens that are in the egg boxes first thing in the morning, but most lay around 10-12AM. I go to school from 8AM-1230PM and I don't get home until around 1:30PM and I collect eggs then which is about 15 or so. I collect again around 5:00PM and get two or three more at the most. I know you're suppose to collect as often as you can, but if that isn't possible then collect when it's feasible for you.
I do not wash my eggs after I collect them, but I do refrigerate them right away. Although you don't have to but an unrefrigerated egg ages in one day the same amount that a refrigerated egg does in 1 week..

I collect once a day. Girls just started laying. Only 2 of my RIR's are laying at the moment and the first one layed around 730ish other around 10. So I collect at 10:30 I will go out through out the day and see if anybody else laid an egg also, about once every 3 hours i'll go check coop and our property.

Back
Top Bottom