How Often Do You Handle

Like others have said some of it just depends on personality and breed but my trick was to hold them in one hand up against my chest or shoulder until they calmed down and fell asleep. I would read or work on the computer with the other hand while holding them.

I have never found it to be breed specific, more of an individual personality. I don’t force it. My brooder was always open in the front so the chicks could see me coming and I’d just dangle my hands in there. Eventually one will come to check them out and then others will join in. We progress from there. I also would sit on the floor and open the brooder, everyone was welcome out to sit on my leg or shoulder, or not. Some birds just don’t like being handled period. As adults my flock is accustomed to being checked over once a month at night with a head lamp for bugs, injuries, etc.

I have 7 breeds. Only the ISAs enjoy attention, and I got them at 16 weeks old. The others I raised from chicks, and they just don't want to be touched. That's fine with me, they are livestock, not pets.

Only the roo has a name, and that's because he was the Lucky one that didn't get butchered, and one ISA, because she sits there and says Uh Oh, every time she thinks I'm doing something wrong. I can handle all of them if needed, and they are always up in my business if I'm working in their coop, run, or summertime fenced enclosure, but no cuddle time.

Back
Top Bottom