How often do you turn over the coop bedding with Deep Litter Method?

Wow, thanks everyone. I can see I need to stir it more often. I will just keep the shovel and fork out there.

Yes how much DE should we add? In the 12 x 20 I added about 4 cups. Is that enough?

On the use of DE ..... I use a wire strainer thingy, and just sprinkle it all over the coop! I use it in the nests and on the roosts, just sprinkle it liberally. I dunno .... I have never had any odor in my coops, and I think the DE helps that.

Thanks Kathy, I am just a bit concerned about how much to use though and how often. I read a post (one) that it was harmful to the birds if they breathe it in.
I can't remember where i read it and have read lots of them about how great it is.

So what's the verdict...worry or don't worry?

I turn my bedding every day. It's a good 8" deep of shavings and I use DE. They do not scratch or dust bath in it. I dislike the girls walking through the poo to get to the laying boxes, so I turn it every morning particularly under their roost. I clean it out twice a year and put on the garden.

Quote:
Lots more than *one* post out there like that
tongue.png
It is mineral dust. Like road dust or sand dust or anything else like that, it is not good for lungs if breathed in excess or chronically. IMHO it is a bad idea to use so much DE (or in particular ways) that it gets kicked up into the air along with the rest of the dust in the coop.

Plenty of people use deep litter just fine without DE, or using just a little bit under the bottom of the litter and under nestbox bedding etc. You don't *need* it. You can use some if you want of course. But it is smarter not to use it in ways that gets things all dusty.

How does that sound?
smile.png

Pat

Thank you Pat, I would rather err on the side of caution. Great idea to use it under the bedding. And If I am turning it then I can just sprinkle some on and then put the next scoop on top of that. I think once a month should be enough.

And I am going to make sure I turn it more often. I didn't realize how packed it was in some spots. I know to look harder now!

Stir it at least once a week or whenever it seems to look matted. Add a new bag of litter material if it seems to have too much moisture. If you ball it up in your fist and let it go , it should fall apart and some pieces will just barely stick to your hand. If it balls up and stays it is too moist.

E.G.Glayer :

Stir it at least once a week or whenever it seems to look matted. Add a new bag of litter material if it seems to have too much moisture. If you ball it up in your fist and let it go , it should fall apart and some pieces will just barely stick to your hand. If it balls up and stays it is too moist.

thumbsup.gif
very good advice. I don't think I will ever go into the coop and not check out the bedding.​

I have been trying the "deep liter method" for the last couple years. I seem to be getting it to work. In the past, It just was full of poo and froze solid.

This year, I have been using a combination of wood shavings, shredded paper, and every couple weeks I throw down some alfalfa hay. I think the loose paper is keeping it, well... loose. I think the alfalfa is giving them something to scratch.

I have been turning it with a fork a few times a month. Like some people have already stated, the chickens really like the freshly turned matter.

I don't, nor have ever used D.E.

Back
Top Bottom