How often do you turn over the coop bedding with Deep Litter Method?

Shredded paper? Hmmmmm do you think that the ink could be harmful? I have access to quite a bit of shredded paper and never thought about it. Now you have me wondering...

I'm a chicken newbie and I decided to try this method. I have a 6 x 8 shed-type coop and 7 chickens. They've been in the coop since New Years and spent most of our snowy winter strictly inside. I started the litter with 2 bales of pine shavings, mix it up on a weekly basis, and add new shavings occasionally. I kick bedding over the fresh poop under the roosts every morning, and this gets mixed up with the rest every Saturday. The coop stays EXTREMELY dry--I water from a two-gallon flat-sided bucket set against the wall on a tray of gravel and only occasionally have a wet spot. I've never noticed any odors other than "chicken" and I was wondering when I'd finally have to clean the coop. Well, we finally had some real heat last week and when I mixed up the bedding yesterday, the ammonia odor was so bad that my eyes watered. So yesterday was the day! Learning as I go.......

Back
Top Bottom