How often does everybody change their litter in their coops?

We have a 4' x 8' coop with a roosting coop that we added white pine shavings, just curious how long folks go before changing out the litter? Our roost coop is dry is dry but does attract flies.

Thanks
Tom
My husband & I use pelletized bedding, which turns into saw dust when it gets wet. When it first gets wet it just enlarges (puffs it up) the bedding, then it begins turning into wet shavings. We will spot clean the really bad spots every 3 days and add dry bedding. Once a week we change all of the bedding and wipe down their floors. We also have small kiddie pools in each side of their house. We have one large duck house that’s divided - one is the “Drake Den,” the other is the “Quack Shak”. We upgraded their floors from plywood floors to these marble like flooring, that comes in large squares, similar to vinyl, I think; my husband got it from my brother-in-law, who works on movie sets and when they wrap up, is allowed to takes home anything their going to throw out, which is A LOT. The squares are rather thick and we replaced on thicker plywood beneath it, cleaning their floors is so much easier, we use a small whisk broom to finish up. We did use the pine shavings in the very beginning but since the ducks get them wet so quickly it became more of a hassle, once we tried the pelleted bedding, we never went back, it’s even great on odors and many people use it as cat liter lol. We get a 40lb bag for $6.00 at Tractor Supply. I think it might also depend on the climate you live in, ours is very humid and the pine shavings would mildew quickly.

Back
Top Bottom