How often/how well do you clean ducks' pool?

Another good pump is a Delevan or SurFlow diaphragm pumps like the Delevan 5850. These pumps range from 2-10 gallons per minute and can be purchases as a 110 volt or 12 volt model. I have no power at the pen so I went with the 12 volt system and made clips to connect to my truck battery. All you have to do is place a screen over the end of the pickup hose and you are fine.They can be had for under $50 and I know that tractor supply or rural king stores carry them as well as most farm stores. Even at 5 gallons per minute, you are moving a lot of water and you can hook the other end to a sprinkler and water that way if you want to as they put out 45 to 60 psi.

We only have two ducks so far, so just have a small kiddie pool. The woman who brought us the ducks said they would let us know when they want fresh water in the pool. This is how they let me know:

That's the bucket we keep by the water supply. We keep it full to the top with fresh water for the dog and the turkeys also love to drink out of it. I can tell by the water level she'd been having a nice time in there. I rinse and refill the pool pretty often, nearly every day. I like to dump the water out and let them play in that ... it's been super dry here.

We only have two ducks so far, so just have a small kiddie pool. The woman who brought us the ducks said they would let us know when they want fresh water in the pool. This is how they let me know:

That's the bucket we keep by the water supply. We keep it full to the top with fresh water for the dog and the turkeys also love to drink out of it. I can tell by the water level she'd been having a nice time in there. I rinse and refill the pool pretty often, nearly every day. I like to dump the water out and let them play in that ... it's been super dry here.
OMG! I love it!!

gig.gif

_MG_3896.jpg
I empty and refill and move it every other day or every day if it is really dirty. I have 12 call ducklings, 2 Khakki Campbells, 1 Muscovy and 2 Toulouse geese that share it. I don't really worry about the algae so much. I do spray as much of the grime out as I can. I would probably replace the pool once a year. It was only $15 at Walmart.

We have 10 ducks, and 6 geese. They each have their own kiddie pool but the geese seem to enjoy bathing in the ducks pool more who knows why... I clean and change water nightly. I also bought a small rubber trough high enough they can't get into it this just low enough they can dunk their heads all the way its always fresh water for them instead of their nasty pool poop water I only change that every 2-3 days depending how much left over food chunks are in it.

In each of their coops they have fresh 5 gallon buckets daily.

We have 10 ducks, and 6 geese. They each have their own kiddie pool but the geese seem to enjoy bathing in the ducks pool more who knows why... I clean and change water nightly. I also bought a small rubber trough high enough they can't get into it this just low enough they can dunk their heads all the way its always fresh water for them instead of their nasty pool poop water I only change that every 2-3 days depending how much left over food chunks are in it.

In each of their coops they have fresh  5 gallon buckets daily.  
Can't do water in the coop at all :sick

They really make it stink in record time if I do. I house them with chickens and shavings, so I'm sure you can imagine wet shavings and feed and how that smells after a day.. :p

I have a 50 gallon livestock trough dug into the ground and I clean it out every day with a water pump. Takes very little time! When it gets nasty I also use a bit of bleach to sanitize things a bit and make sure I rinse it out well before filling it back up again. It continually amazes me how much poop ducks get in their water!

Thanks so much for this information! Bailing poopy duck water out of their pool with buckets is very time consuming, plus hard on my back. The garden loves that poopy water, though! I will look at TSC online to see about getting one of these pumps.
If you have a small kiddie or stock tank type pool, it is pretty easy to cyphen off. I started out doing the bailing thing too, then I bought several feet of clear rubber cyphen hose from the feed store and it's easier. The only sucky thing about cyphening is you have to get the suction started by sucking (lol, punny) on one end until the water starts flowing.

Back
Top Bottom