How often should i hold/play with chicks?

We have 12 babies right now and everyone gets picked up at least twice a day. Most of them will come up to the hand now and instead of running away from it.

We also offer treats randomly through the day.

I have an Australorp roo who is terrified of even getting touched. He will run me all around the coop. It literally scares him to death for you to pick him up. He is 8 weeks old and still has down. Is their a problem or is it just his personality? Should I hold him more to try to break him of his fears or should I leave him alone. He seems normal when I'm not after him.

vortec

i take mine out at different time a day. sometimes i'll sit over the brooder, take one out and observe it (feather growth, feet, eyes) hold it for a while and then grab another and do the same. it's also good to put some food in your hand and show it to them. mine seem to prefer eating from my hand for some reason. even if their feeder has lots of food in it they'll all rush to my hand!

Last edited:
I hate to get all graphic on the young ones, but I like to put them in my bra/camisole!
hide.gif

Quote:
I would try to break this behavior before he gets to be a big, nasty rooster. If he sees you as a threat, he will attack you instead of running away when he gets older.
wink.png

Quote:
Thats what I did, I would hold them till they got calm then i would put them down. They learn your not going to hurt them. then they don;t mind getting held. The problem with mine is they don't ever want to get down now! Sounds stupid but I used puppy training on them! I would suggest you try it I think it will work for you too.
Sandy

Back
Top Bottom