How often to change pool water?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sadies chicks, Jun 28, 2011.

1. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Hi,
    I am new to the duck-thing, I now have 4 white crested pekins, about 11 weeks old. I have a kiddie pool for them and want to know how often you all change the water in the pool? I want to make sure it stays clean and healthy for them but changing it everyday seems overboard. Right now I am doing about 4-5 days.

Any input would be appreciated!

Sarah

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi!

It depends on the weather, but in the summer I change the water - 2'x3'x8" pan - once or twice a day. Twice if it's stinking hot, because around 2 p.m. I'll give them fresh cool water. I have nine runner ducks, black and chocolate.

Spring and fall, we can get a couple of days out of the swim pan.

Once a week or so I scrub the pan with a brush after spraying it with vinegar.

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 270 gal pond I change every OTHER day... I hate dirty water... [​IMG]

4. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Yeah, I hate dirty water too! I should have said that I have another bowl for their "drinking" water that gets changed twice a day, the pool is just for their "play/drinking/do everything else in it" water [​IMG] We live in Portland, OR so the weather is very agreeable to the duckies...it is raining and maybe in the 60's right now. And summer started last week [​IMG]

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I change mine every day sometimes 2 times a day. 1. because I hate dirty water and 2. its hot here in the afternoon and the change of water gives them all a good cool down and keeps them healthy & happy. Im changing out 4 pools and 8 buckets a day aswell as horses and the goats water too. Good job im not on city water!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  6. MudHog

MudHog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    I have a large mix pan that I dump out every day. Once I do my new pen and larger pond, I'll do much less, but do some sort of vac daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by