How often to change the litter in the brooder cage

I have my 4 week olds in a 3 man tent and changing the bedding is a total PITA because I can't stand in it so I have been just adding bedding and changing out only the really soiled stuff and that seems to work and keep the smell down. So far I have really only changed the bedding on a weekly basis. I do have piddle pads under the aspen shavings but they are becoming juvenile delinquents and pulling it up, pecking through and tearing it apart. I am thinking the next time I clean it I'll be taking all the pads out and not replace them, just add the shavings/mulch chips we created with a wood chipper and brush pile. I have the tent lined with garbage bags too and they tend to leave that alone- I suspect though not for long. Now if I can just stop them from pooping in their water dish, I would feel alot better.

You just have to raise their water dish some, and make sure they can't roost on or directly above it. Raising it to be level with their backs should do, chickens can stretch their necks impressively far.

You just have to raise their water dish some, and make sure they can't roost on or directly above it. Raising it to be level with their backs should do, chickens can stretch their necks impressively far.
Agreed. I use regular clay bricks and broken fire bricks under the feeder and waterer.

Back
Top Bottom