How often to change the water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tanyizzle, Jun 3, 2011.

1. tanyizzle

tanyizzle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have 6 chickens in my coop currently (only like 9 weeks old I think) and have a rather large waterer. Do I need to change the water out often or is it fine as long as it stays clean and theres plenty of it?

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    It needs to be changed everyday. If it gets hot a few times a day. Just my opinion.

3. tanyizzle

Apr 17, 2011
    Saratoga County, NY
    Its shaded and remains fairly cool... Any other experiences? Its a pain to change until I get a hose ran out to where it is, thats why i ask.

4. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I change everyone's water at least twice a day. Basically if I wouldn't drink it, I don't want them to either.

5. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I don't worry about it.

as long as it is clean and they have planty don't worry about it.

I think of my chickens as any other livestock- you would drain large cow waterer every day- you just fill it up.

6. tanyizzle

Apr 17, 2011
    Saratoga County, NY
    Anyone else? Rather inconclusive results so far.

7. Jay-Mar28

Jay-Mar28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Aslong as its clean i wouldnt worry to much about it. just keep an eye on it.

8. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    I put a little apple cider vinegar in mine and it seems to keep longer, I change mine 2-3 times a week? Never had a problem. Hope that helps=)

9. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Quote:What's the ratio? How much apple cider vinegar to how much water? I want to put enough in but I don't want to overdo it either.

10. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    It depends what type of waterer it is. There is a lot less maintenance if you use Chicken Waterer Cups like these:
    [​IMG]

If you have a hanging waterer, I would change it daily and give it a good cleaning out weekly so green growth does not get in the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by