How often to change the water?

I have a question. Is Heinz ACV considered "real"? If not, what is the difference? I don't have a Kroger and Heinz and store brand is all the stores here have.

as for frequency, our chicks are still small (less than 2 weeks old) and I just put a quart of water in their waterer and change it once a day. They get stuff in it within minutes so I don't worry a lot about changing it every time it looks gross. But even with the ACV it gets slimy-maybe from the Probios I'm using. Seems like the sliminess is more since I started using it.

I do believe it is personal choice.I personally have 3 wells on my property that would not get used should I not use them.That is also why my duck pool being filled is not a big deal either. I surely was not trying to say anyone had to do it MY way
smile.png
Just telling the OP how *I* do it.
As for chickens being animals? Of course they are!..but I wouldn't equate giving them fresh,cold water in the summer to getting my pet pooch a manicure or something!That one statement about "chickens pooping in their house"and "drinking from the stream with bacteria and such in it" makes it sound like you are ridiculous to water them 2x a day...I guess it's all relative to each persons situation.I do however believe that fresh water daily is healthy and enjoyable for them.
To the OP...there are so many ways to care for your chickens...if watering daily is too difficult then be sure they have enough to last the day or however long it takes for you to fill it again, I guess.I don't think anyone was trying to be rude, just stating how they do it is all
smile.png

I change/clean the water buckets when they are dirty. Simple as that. Each individual's definition of "dirty" will be different though.
Usually twice a week, but it varies. The other days I just fill them up. A little dust gets in the buckets, but they eat/drink off the ground anyway so a little doesn't hurt them. Keeping the water in the shade keeps it cooler in the summer and reduces algae growth.

Speaking of animals drinking from puddles-we can give our outside cat fresh water 10 times a day but he will always, 100%, choose to drink from a puddle or an upturned toy or something else. Usually dirty water. Go figure.

I have 4 pet chickens and their water is just in an old ice cream tub, i change it just wenever it looks dirty, the chickens arnt buthered they drink out of muddy puddles ect... dont worry about it! ( On a cold day try giving them warm water ,they love it! )
D.gif

I have 23 chickens and a 5g waterer. I put about 2 gallons in it and change it everyother day and its fine.

My birds will not get in the kiddie pool I got for them. They thought I was nuts when I put it in. They kept looking at me as if to say "where is the rest of the water for us to drink?" I was thinking they would love it too. Oh well, anothe rlesson learned for me I guess. On the tread, I change my water every other day. I have one in the coop, and a trough in the run which is in the shade all day. I change thast out when ever they poop in it though.
Quote:

I change mine when its dirty...I see them drinking out of puddles etc....not sure it matters, they eat their own poop when it's mixed on the ground with their food...I clean the waterer more often, when it starts to look dirty, or slimy. I think, by reading all these answers, it depends on what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom