How often to clean coop?

it's just dirt never did put anything on the floor they just sleep there the poop falls on the plywood board that i placed under them so in the morning i let then out and if they need to lay an egg they come in the coop eat or drink what ever they want so there is hardly any poop in their pen by the time they jump up to go to sleep that board is clean and ready for them, the 3 nest boxes are under that plywood that way they don't poop in it got this great idea here .

I never clean my coop. Put down 6" of pine shavings. Add some when they get packed down (in the fall I use leaves). Stir if it crusts over. You can remove some, but never remove it all.

Your coop smells because of a lack of ventilation. This is bad for your birds. Open/make windows and add vents along the roof line or right in the roof.

Thank you all for your advice!
big_smile.png

i have 14, nine month old pullets, and 7, 2yr old hens and 1, 7 month old rooster in my 10x12 gambrel barn coop . in the summer i clean the coop every two weeks. i have dropper boards under the roost which i scrape every 2 or 3 days. i put shaveings on the dropper boards . this winter i am trying something differrent i havent cleaned the coop out since it has been cold out. i have a good 6 inches of pine shaveings on the coop floor and i add more every couple weeks and turn it with a rake. it hasnt got smelly yet they go out in the run dailey free choice . i have plenty of room for my flock of 22 in my coop.

Back
Top Bottom