how often to clean out brooder?

Oh, MareeZoCool

So, I can use sand in the bottom of my brooder. Yippee. I'll get some playground sand at Home Depot. (I did get that right, didn't I?)

I think, also, it will be safer than pine shavings while I"m at work—I was worried about that with a heat light.

Thanks so much.

With mine it depended on how many I had in there when I had the 6 in there I cleaned it out once a week (I added new shavings when needed for smell) I would turn it everyday though, when I had the 12 in there it was more like every 3-4 days clean out and fresh shavings everyday with turning now I have 2 in there and I Have no need to clean it out as of yet so I think for the most part it will depend on how many birds you have in it at one time and the local of it (IE Bedroom or living area).

we have 3 chicks in a 96 quart plastic container. I noticed the smell for the first time last night, and did not know if we should just add additional shavings, or removal all the shavings and start over, since it had been only 2 days since they had completely new shavings. I took the plunge and just threw it all out, but maybe I did not need to, just and more handfuls?

I have five in the brooder and I clean mine out daily. They make SUCH a mess scratching out all their food and knocking over their water that it would be terrible if I waited more than 24 hours. Sometimes I even clean it twice a day!

I have two brooders going right now and I clean mine once a day (scoop out the poo) and then add new shavings. No smell at all. I think the "girls" are happier too. They are so use to my hands in there they are getting very tame.

Back
Top Bottom