How often to clean & what substrate for deep litter?

Looks like coop is on concrete right next to a significant slope(above retaining wall).
Does rain water and/or snow melt come off that slope into coop?
Hard to say if deep litter is right for that situation.

Vertical nipples(on bottom of bucket) leaking?
Shallow container filled with marbles or stones should provide footing, prevent tipping, and catch drips.....will have to be cleaned regularly tho.
Horizontal nipples are much better, IMO, especially if yo need to heat water to keep from freezing.

Not sure this will work for you either, my coop is a raised wooden floor, but....
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
-Runs have semi-deep litter, never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-12-13_17-24-34.png

Back
Top Bottom