How often to collect eggs?

Chicken03

Songster
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
Western Pa
How long can eggs stay in the coop? I get my eggs everyday but if the eggs were in the coop for two days would they still be good? I sure they can't stay in as long if its hot out but how long until they go bad?

A few days won't hurt them at all. I normally collect daily, but sometimes I can't and I certainly don't worry about it. I personally wouldn't have a problem with a 3 day old egg, even in hot weather. You can store them at room temp. for a week or two without problems - they'll still be viable for hatching(if fertile) or eating. Of course, the better they are stored and the sooner they are used, the better they are.

I don't know if they'd done anything to them or not, but a few years ago I spent several months in Bolivia (South America) studying spider monkeys in the Amazon basin. In our field camp we had a propane fridge, but the eggs were kept on top of it, out in the open. We went into town 1x a month for supplies & the eggs always lasted up there. Lets just say that the Amazon basin isn't cool (temperature wise).

It gets into the high 90's here, sometimes up to 100 or 101...I'm worried that my eggs will start incubating themselves!!! I have roos, so they'll probably be fertile. I sure hope we can collect ours every day...more like a few times per day...

Back
Top Bottom