How often to give water by syringe & how much?

Brahmadarma

Songster
11 Years
Aug 13, 2008
I have a very sick chick, isolated, not drinking, bright green poo..
I have been giving 2ccs of water by syringe every three hours.
Is this too much? Too little? Too often ? Not often enough?
Please help.

How old is your chick? When chicks first hatch, they have a bright green poo. But if it is a little older, it should not be bright green.

When I have a sick chickie, I take make up some vitamin/electrolyte water and mix some with the chick feed to make a soup. I draw the liquid up in the syringe and give that to the chick to give it some nourishment and keep it hydrated. I usually do it every 2-3 hours until they pep up some. I also try to encourage them to eat with 'wet' chick feed (you can wet it with the vitamin water), and try moving the food around with your finger to get the chick interested. Yogurt mixed with the chick feed is good too and they usually like that also. Good luck, let us know how he is doing.

Lisa
smile.png

Thank you Lisa. I did everything I could think of, but I lost her.
I am heartbroken,especially so because I still don't know what was wrong with her, I probably never will.
I posted another thread when she first got ill (Symptoms....)but it didn't provoke much response.
Thanks for being there for me.

This thread is from '08. I will try and help though. You can get vitamins/electrolytes from most feed stores. You mix them up in water. For vitamins, poly vi sol infant vitamins without iron can be purchased at all stores that have a vitamin section.

Back
Top Bottom