1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How often to use probiotics?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chcknluvr, Nov 19, 2015.

1. chcknluvr

chcknluvr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    North Carolina
    Hey, I have several dominique chickens that are a little over 5 months old, and one of them has diarrhea. I gave them chick probiotics when they were babies because the same thing happened. I bought 3 packs ( 0.17 ounces each) of probiotics. You use 1 pack with 1 gallon of water, and it has to be changed daily, so I have enough for 3 days. To prevent this from happening again, do I need to give them probiotics once a month?
    Thanks!

2. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    I just give the probiotics for 3 days when they are chicks.

I keep a small supply on hand for emergencies. I give when a bird is showing illness until I figure out what is wrong. If I need to give a treatment (i.e. Corid, wormer, or antibiotics) then I halt the probiotics, give treatment, and then follow up with two or three days of fresh mixed probiotics after treatment.

That's just me. Other flock owners may be different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by