1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How often will a hen go broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by setting_silkie, Jun 5, 2007.

1. setting_silkie

setting_silkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I'm new to the hatching process. In the beginning of April, my silkie hen hatched out 5 eggs. I'd love for her to hatch another clutch now but I'm just not sure how often silkie hens will go broody. Sh's been laying eggs for about three weeks now. I've collected them up until about a five days ago, so she has 5 eggs in her nest. Is it too soon after her last hatch in April for her to go broody again? I've put her in with the silkie roo and would love to see their spotted pony offspring (she's black and he's white).

Any info would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I don't think you can ever tell when a hen will go broody. Just have to wait and see. Sorry not much help here.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I think it really depends on the individual hen. I've got some who laid a few eggs in early spring and have been trying to brood since...and seems like they will stay broody the rest of the season. [​IMG] And others who only go broody once a year. You could try putting some fake eggs or golf balls in a nest for her to encourage her. Once she's setting, then give her the real eggs.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by