How often?

ddcoyne

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Covington
Being new to chickens, I'm just curious about how often you buy "pullets" and then they turn out to be roos. We bought 10 pullets from the feed store. I'm hoping we really got pullets.

I am curious about this too. I am getting 12 next week. I have heard experienced "sexers" can be about 90-95% accurate... I am hopeing for one roo
smile.png

I only bought once from a feed store, my very first chickens

got 4, one turned out to be a rooster. All three pullets died and we were left with the rooster.
I hope 1 in 4 isnt a good representation, because thats high odds.

He was a pretty cool rooster though.

Last edited:
I got 5 straight run Brown Leghorns that 2 of were roos. I also got the 3TTs, 3ALs and 3RSLs pre-sexed. Of course the RSLs were foolproof. I noticed one of my Amberlinks have a much redder comb and wattles, but they are very small compared to the BLH roo who is a week younger than her, so I am sure she's a she. All of the rest are straight run. My BAs look like a 7 pullets and 8 roos. The rest are to small or I just can't tell. My Barred Rocks should be able to be sexed, but... I see all roos, maybe one pullet. I dunno...

My first purchase from a hatchery was golden comets because I knew that I would get too attatched, and would be devestated if I had to give away a roo. Somehow, someway, the hatchery gave me a roo in my batch of 4.
th.gif

My policy is to just buy two more than you intend to have. It's how I justify my number of chickens to DH. Chicken Math!
woot.gif

I bought 4 from a local hatchery that was supposed to have a 90% guarantee. I have 2 that are suspiciously roo-ish.. and I bought a Polish that I am pretty sure is a pullett from my feed store who gets their chicks from McMurray and they said they rarely ever have a problem with any of theirs turning out to be a roo. so If my 2 suspicious ones are roos, then 2 of 5 at a "supposed" 90% guarantee.. not good odds for me, Id be terrified to pull from a straight run!

Back
Top Bottom