How old are eggs too old to SELL?

Last year I could not keep up with the demand for my eggs. This spring I doubled my flock. Now I have eggs pouring in! The demand is increasing but has not yet caught up with the supply. Every day, I wash my eggs, package and refrigerate them. I keep the eggs in rotation, and so my customers are buying my oldest eggs first. I do not want to risk having customers thinking that what they are buying are not FRESH. At what point should I REFUSE to sell eggs to my customers? In other words, how shall I set my expiration dates (Must sell buy?). Even though eggs last for months, I need a higher standard for customers!

I guess any decision could be said to be relatively arbitrary, but I think that I would ensure that your eggs are fresher than those sold in stores / supermarkets. Customers would probably assume that they are fresher than the commercially packaged alternatives (in addition to the greater welfare standards, that i am sure you operate).

Maybe you could use the excess to make value-added products, such as mayo, quiches etc?

Last edited:
Hi.
frow.gif

The standard in Ca says to sell within 30 days.

I have read that you can successfully freeze them individually in ice cube trays so that you can use them for recipes when laying slows. Lots of people might be interested in something like that during the Christmas baking season. I always rotate my stock as well. But I don't wash my eggs and have had them be "fresh" still 6 months later.
ep.gif
I wonder if waiting to wash them until closer to sell makes any difference? It also states that unwashed eggs will stay good for 4 days at temps up to 90 degrees.

Another thing to consider is feeding the older eggs back to your layers. It's great nutrition and already paid for.
wink.png
Counts as protein.

Back
Top Bottom