How old are fresh hatching eggs?

I have used magic marker in the past with no problems. I now use colored pencils for the incubator eggs and magic marker for eggs going under broodies. Pencil rubs off under broodies.

Lanae

Ah, you all make me feel better about it now.
big_smile.png

I never use a marker only pencil. I make sure to mark the eggs well under a broody, especially those ducks and often have to mark them every few days as I check for new eggs.

It is good to know some use marker without problems. I might try it on the ducks eggs and see what I get.

I appreciate all the input as I stress over my eggs! I suppose "like an old mother hen!"
lol.png

I personally would not be happy with 10 day old eggs being shipped to me. At that time frame you do start to lose the fertility on them. Granted I have hatched 14 day old eggs myself but have never sent out anything over 3 days after collecting. Fresh to me means 3 day max collection and shipped
wink.png
Markers have no effect on hatch rates IMO

Well, I was a bit upset to see eggs that old shipped to me. Then after the breeder told me she considered them fresh even at that point I thought perhaps I was over reacting.
I do set them myself as many others have stated but sending them out and expecting the person to get a good hatch rate is dishonest to me, especially when told the hens were laying like mad and there were lots and lots of fresh eggs so 2 dz would not have been a stretch.

I feel cheated but it isn't the first time and I am sure it won't be the last. It really is Buyer Beware, even when you think you know that person pretty well.

Thank you again for you all giving me your opinions. It is nice to know I am not crazy.
wink.png

I feel your pain. I got eggs today from 5/31 to 6/02 ????? That is fresh. Not in my opinion.
And I always mark all my eggs with a sharpie.
Like I said earlier, I do hatch older eggs, but they never leave the turners until I set them and they are stored in a cool place.

I took it to mean they were still sent out and received in good time (3 days) but just were not fresh. Like shipped on Wednesday and received on Sat. but just dated about 2 weeks ago. Kinda like my deal.
hmm.png

I know it isn't just me getting these kind of eggs. Others get them, too but it can't make for a good hatch.
I order in eggs all the time and most do not have the date on them nor do I write the date on mine. I write the rooster's name on mine so I know the pen (27 breeding pens) but have trays set up with tags on them with the dates or if I am collecting too many at once I also use egg cartons with a sticky note and the date on it behind the eggs on the flap. I can still tilt the cartons and it make it easy to move to the wrapping table to get ready for shipment.
But as I have said, I try never to send out eggs over 3 days old. If I can't collect enough of them in those days I may put off sending them out for another few days while rotating out the old and putting in the new.

I have hatched over 150 shipped eggs recently and for the ones that did not hatch well I wondered how old they were. But often the air cell is burst and I mark it down to that being the reason. Although ones in the same shipment may have hatched well. The worse hatch this year so far has been one egg from 18. Those did look old when I got them but the seller was less than helpful when asked.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
wink.png

Over the years I have noticed that eggs not shipped at home an set in the incubator from 1-7 days old,hatch very well with normal chicks and good hatches.After 10 days the hatch rate starts dropping,but still good up to 14 days.Older eggs sometimes will hatch,but the chicks are often weaker and the hatch rate very low.The eggs need to be turned and keep at a steady temperature,at appox. 50 degrees with high humidity.They membranes will stick if not turned and the egg drys out over time in low humidity.Extra large and jumbo sized eggs seem to not hatch as well as medium and large,but it is not dramatic. For shipping 1-4 days is fresh provided they can be delivered within 3 days,you can always include a few free extras that are a day to two older.

Back
Top Bottom