How Old Are Hens When They Start Laying?

Awestruck

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2012
It seemed like the last time I had a batch of chickens, it seemed like they were 5-6 months when they started laying eggs. I have a new batch which are 4 months old, and one laid an egg today (a white leghorn). What is the age they start laying, generally speaking?

It seemed like the last time I had a batch of chickens, it seemed like they were 5-6 months when they started laying eggs. I have a new batch which are 4 months old, and one laid an egg today (a white leghorn). What is the age they start laying, generally speaking?
They can start laying from 18-25 weeks, some earlier, some later. How many weeks are they? From the math I am doing, unless I'm wrong, they are 12 - 14 weeks? That is very uncommon for them to start laying that early, if so, but it is very rarely possible.

We got 5 at the end of March (2 white leghorns, 2 barred rocks, and an astrolorp). The next week we got 4 Easter Eggers. A week after that, we got 2 Buff Orpingtons. I went back to the calendar and the first ones we got would be 19 weeks old. I guess they are old enough to start laying eggs now. I was thinking it would be more like in October before we would see any eggs.

We got 5 at the end of March (2 white leghorns, 2 barred rocks, and an astrolorp). The next week we got 4 Easter Eggers. A week after that, we got 2 Buff Orpingtons. I went back to the calendar and the first ones we got would be 19 weeks old. I guess they are old enough to start laying eggs now. I was thinking it would be more like in October before we would see any eggs.
Okay then, I didn't do the math correctly! They are at the average laying age and you will probably see more eggs coming from the new layers.

YEAH still waiting for eggs here! I have 4 silky hens, I was guesstimating around NOW to already have eggs, each day now going on 5months I'm trekking outside to check the coop. They better start paying rent LOL, that's what I say when they go broady. LOL Anyways patience on my little hens. PS little disappointed they didn't imprint on me as my prior Silky, they just scatter as I approach, and I really wanted that bond out of this breed. Oh well, we get what we get when it's a entire new flock this year.

Back
Top Bottom