How Old Are These Guineas?

danielle2003

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Langley, Oklahoma
Hello, so I made a post when I got these keets, and had no idea how old they are. Never raised guinea fowl before.
I've had these since September 8th, and they looked about a week old maybe when I got them...maybe 2 weeks? Now they've gotten big, and am not sure if their exact age. What do y'all think?
They are currently eating about 26%-28% protein gamebird starter crumble. When should I switch feed?
IMG_20220928_103733.jpg
IMG_20220928_103703.jpg
IMG_20220928_103603.jpg

Here's them when I got them, for size comparison:
IMG_20220908_165854.jpg

And they’ll get even bigger! 😆 Your birds are so cute!!
My bags of Purina gamebird feed recommend continuing the high-protein grower ration for guineas until somewhere between 18-20 weeks (roughly corresponding with egg-laying age, but for the climate zone I’m in, that was the onset of fall-winter and I didn’t get any eggs until this spring).
Clues for when the growing phase is nearing completion include development of wattles and crests (“helmets”)! It was sometime during the winter months (hatch date late May ‘21) that my GF completed their facial adornments, though the changes were noticeably underway by ~5-6 months of age. The striking coloration of keet heads is adorable, but the adult helmets are also impressive.

Hello, so I made a post when I got these keets, and had no idea how old they are. Never raised guinea fowl before.
I've had these since September 8th, and they looked about a week old maybe when I got them...maybe 2 weeks? Now they've gotten big, and am not sure if their exact age. What do y'all think?
They are currently eating about 26%-28% protein gamebird starter crumble. When should I switch feed?View attachment 3274210View attachment 3274211View attachment 3274212

Here's them when I got them, for size comparison:
View attachment 3274229
From Purina Mills: "
Purina Game Bird & Turkey Startena Feed is a complete feed for pheasants, quail, chukars, guinea fowl and other exotic game birds from 0-6 weeks or turkeys 0-8 weeks of age."
In reality, unless you're bringing another clutch in soon, feed until the bag is empty.
Then you can switch to a good All Flock grower. I wanted to stick with the gamefeed but when you read the info, it's either for egg layers, which would be too high in calcium for males, or maintenance, which you'd have to change in the spring, or feather fixer, which again hasa specific time period. That's too much changing for birds that dislike change so much that they freak out when you move their waterer. Allflock does well, and then provide calcium grit on the side in early spring for your ladies.

They seem to get hot really easy, try are almost fully feathered, except for their heads and necks. They do really good outside during the day, when the low is at about 55-60 degrees F. During the day, I keep them in a 10x10 chain link dog run. It gets to be about 46 degrees F at night. Is that too cold? If so I will put them in the shed with a lamp.

They seem to get hot really easy, try are almost fully feathered, except for their heads and necks. They do really good outside during the day, when the low is at about 55-60 degrees F. During the day, I keep them in a 10x10 chain link dog run. It gets to be about 46 degrees F at night. Is that too cold? If so I will put them in the shed with a lamp.
Once they are fully feathered, they can handle even sub zero temperatures as long as they have protection from the wind.

You’re in Langley OK? I’m in Stillwater! Sounds like we are warmer than you, highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 40s. My keets are 5-6 weeks old and are outside in a brooder but have a brooder heat plate on at night. Heat lights in a coop scare me as I’m afraid of a coop fire, so I use the plate outside. When I had keets hatches by a broody mom last year, they were roosting with mom by this age and these temperatures. But my current keets weren’t hen brooded and have only recently moved outside, so I’m taking it slow to give them time to acclimate.

They do need more security than a chain link fence. I think they could still lip through holes,def Fly over, and predators get to.

The top is completely covered with tarps. And they are too big to get through the chain link.
Chain link fence is great for keeping your guineas in but unfortunatley it is large enough to let raccoons reach their arms in and grab your guineas. It is also large enough to let things like weasels, snakes and rats in. Wire mesh is preferred over chicken wire but chicken wire is better than chain link .

Back
Top Bottom