How old before leaving kids "home alone"?

Okay this is getting ridiculous with peoples STRONG statements, you know who you are, and I think you need to RELAX! Everyone one is entitled to their own opinions and you do not need to be so dang harsh! Grow up. If your kids don't have cell phones and you don't believe in them then SIMPLY state that.
My son is going into the first grade and his KG teacher wouldn't let him use the phone to call me at home when he was confused if he was suppose to ride the bus or get picked up. She put him on the bus when she forgot he was suppose to be picked up. When they finally figured it out I was freaked out thinking someone kidnapped him. I went home and my son was on the door step crying!!! We live a block from the hwy and I was very upset, but glad to see my five year old was smart and just waited for me!!! She is now thankfully retiring.
They have a special cell phone called the firefly and it all programmed by the parents and secured with a pin number. It is meant for very young kids. I would highly suggest that phone......I don't trust people anymore these days and think that kids need as much protection as possible. There definitely needs to be rules in schools about phones and if they are broke then they are taken away and the parents are notified....???
Also, go to www.familywatchdog.us to search for sex offenders near your homes!! Check there before you purchase a new home too!

Rhett&SarahsMom :

According to my mom I was 11. And that means I was "in charge" of my younger sister who would have been 7 years old.
I was a very responsible kid. Took care of the animals(dogs, cats) then the horses when they came home when I was 14.
And I know at least two sets of parents that leave their 7 year olds at home after school from 2:30 to 5:30/6 at night. Both have younger siblings that are in daycare til mom/dad picks them up and brings them home. They just leave them with snacks and tv/games and tell them the "basics". Lock doors. Dont go anywhere or let anyone in. If there is an emergency go to the neighbors and call 911.

I am also wondering ,,, since I just my husband and I were just talking about it, and I just read an article on "what age is appropriate" for giving a kid a cell phone.
I know that there are going to be kids in her KG class that will, at the very least have cell phones and IPods with them.
We have already tackled the earring thing. She has to wit til she is at least 10. If she still wants them and can take care of them. Then she can get her ears pierced. But I am sure that this is going to come up again when she gets into school. So.. what age is appropriate for giving them a cell phone or a MP3 player?

for the phones and ipods, probably 10 or 11, thats when they start jr. high. kids shuld be allowed to get there ears pierced as soon as they want. and internet, as soon as they know how to use it. and for leaving them home alone 11 or 12​

Last edited:
Wanted to add that all the schools I'm familiar with kids regardless of age are supposed to leave their cellphones in the office/locker during the day. I would worry about theft/lost issues there, but JMO.

My extra phone is just a free line on my account that I already had. The security features/lock settings are things built into the phone (not special kids only phone just settings and lock code) and the GPS locater a feature from my service provider. I'm sure most carriers would have similar options. My DS or his friends couldn't run up the bill if they tried.

It's a different world out there. I walked and rode my bike places and at ages I wouldn't even consider for my kids.

I promised them at the end of school that they could ride this year, but only if I rode with them. Needless to say, after 20+ yrs of not being on a bike, I've spent the last several days huffing and puffing my way around with baby in tow. I swear this town is all uphill.
th.gif

ETA- My kids have internet access at school and I know many kids have access at public libraries. At home, I monitor access, but even my 2yr old likes PBSkids.org

Last edited:
I think that if you raise your kids right, and I mean, really really right, they can be almost as trustworthy as adults. There is no definate age for kids to be considered mature enough to stay home alone.
It is the adults who are responsible for the level of maturity a child has. There should be no fighting on this subject because every parent raises thier children differently.
There are many different formulas to make a good kid. No one way is right. It is not for anyone to say that cellphones are good or bad. It is not for anyone to say what age is the right age to allow more freedom.
I have my own beliefs for raising kids. There are so many ways to raise them wrong, and so many ways to raise them right. You guys being parents, I think it's good to stick by what's helping your kids shine. but don't bring people down because of what's working for them
wink.png

I wish I could have spent some home alone time growing up.

But I went to a private boarding school. And even if my parent's weren't around when I got to go home for holiday's & summer vacation, I was never really alone.

There was always the maid, cook, gardener, & limo driver to keep me company.

It was a tough life to deal with, but some how I made it to adulthood.

I agree that everyone has their own opinions. Shrug. I take no offense.
We WERE quite young, I have to admit, but we were also well controlled, fairly well mannered children. We also were expected to take responsibility early and pitch in with whatever needed doing. We respected our parents completely, we wouldnt have even thought about putting a toe wrong when they made very clear what was expected. Our family is still extremely close, we had to work together.
Flip side. I am mom to five, four grown, out in the world, college/military, and one teenager left at home. Each of the five had a different maturity level, cell phones or mp3 players and such were (and are with my teen) on a individual basis. They realized/realize its a privilege, not a right and respect that.

SCHOOL'S are even having to BAN cell phones off the property because parents ALLOW their kids to bring them to school .

Well, I think if a teacher sees a child using the cell phone, other than for an emergency during school hours, then the cell phone should be taken away, and detention should be given.​

What a fun topic! I think cell phone use should be based on the particular situation, and the maturity of the child to follow rules for it. My 12 yo has a cell (and ipod) and takes them both to school. He uses the ipod on the bus ride. The cell phone is for emergencies only. He keeps it turned off, and in his backpack. He knows if he breaks the rules he loses privileges (afterschool use). He's had a cell phone since he was 8. He used to travel out of state to visit family. He also has a season pass for a ski area and is skiing/snowboarding alot in the winter. His phone is on him to keep in touch and know where he's at and what's goin' on. He even calls from the chairlift ride sometimes. My 8yo will be getting a cell for his 9th birthday. He has a friend's house that he goes to, and we can never get ahold of him b/c the friend's sisters are always on the phone and don't answer the other line. So it will be used for getting ahold of him there. And if he's visiting relatives we can get ahold of him. He won't get an ipod unless he saves up money for it, but has an mp3 player that he listened to on the bus ride (an hour long bus ride) but he's homeschooled now, so that doesn't matter anymore.

I don't think school's should ban cell phones, ban their use, maybe, but not keep kids from just having them on them. When emergencies happen at schools, the parents are not usually notified until far too long after the fact. (or not at all) My son knows to call in an emergency. (or if he forgot to put deoderant on and needs some brought to school)
roll.png

In our state, I believe the law is that a child can't be left home alone until they're 12? I think a mature 10 yr old is fine for a couple hours. No way would I leave mine home alone at age 7, unless they had an older mature sibling w/ them. Alone, no way.

Back
Top Bottom