How old before leaving kids "home alone"?

I was a latch-key kid at 8 years old when my parents divorced and my mom went back to school to get her degree. I made my own way home from school and hung out with my brother who was 12.

That said, I would *never* leave my seven year olds alone...not even to run out for a few minutes. They are smart kids but they aren't equipped to handle an emergency and I don't think any kid that age is.

Quote:
WOW!

I would have thought 13 was old enough (but I agree with all the PP that it so very much depends on the individual child)

I wonder if there were other things involved?

Or does Virginia have a 15 year old age limit or something?

Let's don't get mad at each other over this subject. Everyone does what they believe is best for their child. Everyone here sounds like a responsible parent.

Before anyone asks, I am in my forties and have four kids who range in age from 19-10.
lol.png

Last edited:
I agree, it depends on the maturity of each individual child. I started babysitting when I was 10. I was a so called latchkey kid from first grade on. I never had a mp3 player (there was no such thing). I did not get a cell phone untill I was in my late 20s.

My kids on the other hand:

23 year old son: started staying home alone at 10 and after school. He has never had an mp3 player (does not care about it) Has never had his own computer either but at age 12 I let him get his ear pierced. He got his first cell phone at age 15.

15 year old son: started staying home alone at 10 also and after schools. He got an mp3 player (Zune) last year for xmas. Last year for his birthday he got at Dell computer (desktop) and he has has a cell phone for 2 years. I also let him get his ear pierced but he was 15. His choice.

I have very responsible kids.

Quote:
WELL , I am 56 years old . I married at 15 years old , had my oldest at 16 , my middle child at 19 and my youngest at 30 .

I AM NOW blessed today with beautiful grandkids and great grandkids and I must of been doing something RIGHT , because I receive phone calls each and everyday for suggestions and opinions from my children , my family and friends . DID NOT mean to insult anyone in here because I LIVED AND DEALT with it all . Gives a whole new meaning to " Been there , Done that "
smile.png

Quote:
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

So funny!

But stuff like that can happen when the parents are home too.

But then, I think I am like your daughter in some ways....smoke and me go hand in hand!

Because of that though, my kids are very well versed in fire safety.
big_smile.png

Quote:
SORRY , but no way would I allow 7 kids left alone for ANY REASON . ESp. not gone snow mobiling .
Its hard enough for adults to control and be responsble of 7 children . TO MANY things can happen .

Sheesh, MagsC didn't even say how old they were!

Maybe the oldest was 21 and the youngest 14.
big_smile.png

Just because there are 7 doesn't mean they can't be controlled.

Well, I got a cell phone at 14, when I got my first motorcycle. They started leavin me home alone to care for the livestock at 7 or 8, I caint remember which, sometimes for a couple of days. It just depends on the responsability of the kid though. I aint never cared about mp3's or ipods, to be honest, I dont even know for sure what they are...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom