how old can a rooster get????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wnthunting, Jan 23, 2012.

1. wnthunting

wnthunting Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    ny
    my brama rooster is 10 years old..and still runs around like he is only a year old.. anybody know how long they will live ???

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think I remember reading (here on BYC) of chickens as old as 14. But I would consider 8 pretty old for a chicken, so your guy is really doing well! [​IMG] (we need an old chicken smiley...lol)

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

They are all individuals, just like people. The oldest chicken on record was a game hen in the UK who lived to be 25 years old, but 10 is real good today and it sounds like the old boy has some really good genes. Treat him right........Pop

4. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    wow that really something keep him entertained with a few hens only 2 or 3 and see of those eggs are fertile if so u mite have the everlasting rooster lol keeep him safe u wouldnt want him to die from an attack and not from old age lol

5. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I think smaller chickens might be able to live longer, also probably depends on how their treated/ fed...

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Something that can influence lifespan is nutrition. Birds fed too much or a poorly balanced diet seem to burn out sooner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by