How old can eggs be

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
When they go in the bator. I searched the site and learning center, and I am sure the answer is there somewhere, buried in the thousands of posts....

We have three turkey eggs and one is 7 days old. Too old?

Quote:
REALLY??? I guess it can't hurt anything right? The bator should be here by wednesday. If i cant get my butt to work to pick it up!! I am so excited to start.

What is lockdown?
hide.gif

Quote:
REALLY??? I guess it can't hurt anything right? The bator should be here by wednesday. If i cant get my butt to work to pick it up!! I am so excited to start.

What is lockdown?
hide.gif

lol.png
Lock-down is the last 3 days before hatch date....(i believe) where they say dont open the bator at all.. and you have to up the humidity also for them to hatch...
A hatching guru will step in and know more...
wink.png

Also..i think that they do say 7-10 days for hatching eggs to be good...then the hatch rate drops...
but like i said...people have put older eggs in the bator and they still hatched..you just never know..

You have nothing to lose trying. Depending on if they were stored properly, eggs can be held for up to 14 days. I can tell you wild turkey hens set their clutch for 10-14 days before they start incubating.
wink.png

Debi,
I found a stash of Pheonix eggs from my one pair, since it was just one hen, I knew the oldest of the 14 was at least 14 days old. I stuck all 14 in the bator and 10 are developing, so one of those was likely at least 10 days old when I put them in.

After 10 days hatch rate start to drop, but true most hens take longer than that to lay their clutch.

I alway set mine every 7 days, that way hatch time is alway the same day of the week.

Back
Top Bottom