How old do chickens need to be to enter shows?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by feather leg farms, Jul 13, 2009.

1. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Songster

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    I have some chickens that are not chicks but not pullets or cockerels either. They are so pretty and possible show quality. How old should they be to enter in shows in NC?

2. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Songster

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    My son is showing a 9wk old at a county 4-H fair, but we have been told that is outrageously too young, that they should be 4-5 months old. We are new, and did not know to get our birds earlier.

Exhibtion or Show Quality entails so mouch beyond just looking lovely. Perhaps you could attend one of these shows as a visitor before you sign up to show? Then you can get an idea of what the judges might be looking for in your breed of bird.

3. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    Do NOT show them so early that they hurt them when they test them.
    We tried that yesterday and one blew a vein. [​IMG]

4. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Songster

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    I'm sorry.

5. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Crowing

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Generally for 4-H shows you can sometimes get away with showing a 4 or 5 month old bird, but really, most birds/breeds should be at least 7 to 8 months old (if not older) to be taken to a show, especially an Open ABA/APA show.

Sorry to hear about the one who was tested too early, I presume it died? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: