How old do my Silkies need to be .................

antiquebuff

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Franklin, NC
I have 7 silkies and I have a cochin roo in with them and they are all 14 weeks old. The cochin roo is trying to mate the silkies. Are the Silkie pullets ready for this at this age or should I take the roo away. The little roo is very aggressive. The pullets just act really mad with him! They have all been together since the incubator. How old does a Silkie need to be to mate and if they are not old enough can the Roo mate them anyway? I just have so many questions! Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I can't answer you on the breeds you have, but if they do not want to breed, they will plug him. IF he gets to agressive, such as pulling feathers, being meaner then normal, feathers coming out where he tred on their backs, separate and keep him for a couple days separated, then see if he has cooled it a bit.
They all have to learn how to do it, like riding a bike, but I know my roo was to agressive for 4 hens, but giving him to another chicken nut, he now has 20ish hens to tend to and does not destroy them. I am happy for him.
Good luck on your issues of when to remove him...wish I could tell you exact- hope I have helped.

You let them mate usually after they lay properly developed eggs.. usually their 4th-5th batch or so.....

Males will mate anything--- the Roos I mean!!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom