How old do you think they are?

Cute pictures!
I have 5 Dominiques, they will be 3wks old on Wednesday. As a first time chicken Mom, I am glad that somebody suggested this breed to me. They are very friendly, and they all seem to get along quite well. When I go to take them out of their pen they hop right onto my hand or arm and are in no hurry to hop off of me. I also have an 1 Astrolop, she was put in the box with the Dominiques by mistake, (I was suppose to have 6 Doms.) but she seems friendly too!

Quote:
Mine is by far. She seeks people out, will jump in my lap and has never been anything but a people pleasing chicken. My Barnyard Quality Ameracunas
wink.png
will come up to me and will eat from my hand but don't especially like to be touched or handled. Were I doing it again I would get more Dominiques.

I just got five new chicks and now I wish I'd known about Dominiques. One of my new ones is a Speckled Sussex, which are supposed to be friendly, but she is the most skittish bird I've ever had! Actually, so is the new EE chick I have - since my broody hen is raising them, I don't get to handle them much, which is undoubtedly part of the problem.

My adult EE is so friendly and everyone's favorite.

I love my dom. We thought we had two, but the nicest one turned out to be the BR......... You'll know if they are a D or a BR when they are older and you can see their combs. The Barred Plymouth Rock (BR) has a single comb, and the Dominique has the rose comb. The comb is how we figured out ours.

bawkbawkbawk
Today 2:45 pmI love friendly chickens! Are the Dominiques more friendly than EE's?

They are the friendlest I've been around. My buff Orhpingtons come in second, they are sweet, too. Then the RIR's, the SLW's, then the EE's(my littlest outside birds), then bantys,and least friendly the brown Leghorns.

The last flock I had, I had a Dominique named Speckles, who was the sweetest ever, and a good mom. She would steal other hens chicks to mother, and wasn't shy about bringing her babies right up to my hand to eat. So when my husband and I decided to get chickens, I had to have Dominiques! Hopfully I will get another hen like Speckles.​

We got our first Dom last year and she quickly became the pet. Always jumping on DH's hand where she would sit and fall asleep. We got 2 more this year to see if they would have the same friendly personality - and they do. They love to be held and even act a little put out when we finally put them down so we can get some chores done. The grown one from last year doesn't jump in our laps so much now, but she is still very friendly and doesn't mind being held.

I have no idea!! I've nr had any EEs!!! But they are already supper friendly but they know they are getting bread if they will come up to me!!! Haha they are the nicest chicks ever!!

lorain's fids :

Quote:
I forgot to ask you before in my other post, How old are your Dominiques? They are looking like mine did last week at 2 weeks of age.

i dont know how old they are!! i got them at the flea market!! im guessing about 2 weeks!!​

Back
Top Bottom