How old does a hen to be to have her first egg.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shay20, Aug 17, 2008.

1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    I have a dutch , i want to hatch her eggs when she has them, im to exited for them, im hoping on black dutch bantam cross with red cochin bantam. i have two older hens but i got them when they already older. so i dont know how old when they start having eggs , my baby is about 4 half months. [​IMG]

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've seen anywhere from 16-30 weeks. They'll lay when they're ready.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    About 5 months old im guessing. I have 1 buff black tailed dutch hen and when i bought her they told me she was 2 years old which i had a hard time believing. It wasn't until she hatched her first clutch early this spring before her comb matured. SHe is an excellent mother. WHen yours does start laying she shouldn't have any problems going broody. Mine was broody darn near all spring. She hatched 3 batches of babies before she finally took a break to be a chicken again lol. Good luck to you. Ohhh and try a ping pong ball in the nest. I just did that for my 4 month old seramas and ill be darned if i didn't find an egg the size of a quarter in the nesting box yesturday YAY!!! [​IMG] My ginger (dutch) is notorious for laying her eggs in hiding spots too.

Edited for typos

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    thanks u guys. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by