How old is rooster when it starts crowing?

I had two eggs hatch on the same day, the smallest Roo started crowing about 16 weeks and he is the boss, the bigger one (Marans X) started 8 weeks later!!! His is a lovely deep crow not high pitched like his hatch mate!! I have another 6 Roo's (getting fattened for the pot) and they are just about ready to start, its gonna be noisy here for a few weeks!!

wow my chicken is a real late bloomer if they start at 3 months. mine is about 5 months old and he has just started to crow. its all sad. he starts of good then his voice cracks and he just stops. i guess he is depressed. but as long as he gives the hens what they need
cool.png
he could never make a sound for all i care. (most beautiful dominicker rooster i have ever seen)

Our Barred Rock roo is 17 weeks and still hasn't said a word. Seems to be a late bloomer though, as we weren't sure he was a he until he tried to mount one of the hens a couple of days ago. I keep crowing at him, and he keeps looking at me like I've lost my mind. I'm like, "Crow darn you, CROW!"
barnie.gif

I know I'm a couple weeks behind but I need to tell somebody that 2 of my 7 week old Wyandottes started crowing today. They are barely audible from 100ft but crow they do.

Last edited:
My 13-week-old Polish cockerel, Leopold, started crowing with a ghastly "BRAAAAAACK!" sound about a week ago (DH actually ran out of the house the first time he heard it, thinking that one of the birds was being attacked by something). He has now progressed to a reasonably good "doodle-doo." He'll crow five or six times in a row a couple of times a day, and quietly goes about his business the rest of the time. He's not particularly loud, actually - the girls are much noisier when they're squabbling over something.

My three similarly-aged Speckled Sussex boys (one is 13 weeks, the other two 12 weeks) have remained crow-free thus far. They are occasionally hitting on the pullets, much to the pullets' annoyance, so their hormones are shifting into gear, but at the moment all of them appear to prefer to be known as strong, silent types.

Back
Top Bottom