How old is to Old

Jay-Mar28

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Ontario Canada
Most people i talk to keep hens up to three years then replace them all. I got mine at 2 years old and they must be close to nine years old each now yet they produce eggs almost everyday until recently there have been some tiny eggs being laid. Im not sure if its one that took a break and is starting up again or are they getting just to old haha.

Wow! That is pretty awesome! Personally, if they are still laying, and you know for a fact that they are laying, I would keep them. I have three that are over 2 years old. One lays almost every day (leghorn), one lays 4 a week ish and one hasn't laid an egg in about 3 months. She's pretty and pretty entertaining too, so I am just keeping her with the flock. I'd say your girls are pretty happy if they are that old and still laying. Keep up the good work!

If they are laying eggs then they are not too old:)

Some of the production breeds don't lay as well when they get older, I guess.

I will keep my hens around even when they have stopped laying.

It might just depend on breed of the chickens, and also how well they are cared for. The ones used to produce eggs in most commercial egg farms have a rough life. They are given just enough feed to produce eggs. They never see the sun and green grass. After just two years, those look spent.

Ours, and I am willing to bet yours too, have a pretty good life for a chicken. They get the best of food, and get to run around in the sun and grass as much as they want. They are the picture of health.

I have heard of some they lay eggs all their life. Maybe some of your will do that.
cool.png
What kind do you have?

Barred Rock or one of the other Barred breeds. I have some 5-6 years old that still lay well, but i keep mine even if they don't. they have given me many years of enjoyment and they also help spread the horse manure and eat the bugs. they also teach the young girls the ropes.
smile.png

scratch'n'peck :

If they are laying eggs then they are not too old:)

Some of the production breeds don't lay as well when they get older, I guess.

I will keep my hens around even when they have stopped laying.

yes, your older breeds will lay longer...And mine are family, no stew pot for them.
clap.gif

Quote:
yes, your older breeds will lay longer...And mine are family, no stew pot for them.
clap.gif

Mine too. They all have names, I couldn't put the ax to them. Heck, other than my dog flushing pheasants, these pets pay me back daily, between eggs and entertaiment. Most of them come up to me when I'm in the yard, then squat in front of me so I can pick them up. Of course, if I pick up one, I have to give them all attention or I really hear about it!

Back
Top Bottom