How old is too old to eat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CrazyFowlFreak, May 23, 2010.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I have two 1.5 year old roos that are beating up my girls. We'd like to butcher them and eat them, but aren't sure they'd be worth eating at this age. They are free range chickens, if that helps any. Thanks!

2. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    NEVER TOO OLD TO EAT!! Just remember keep the bird in the fridge, not freezer for 48 hrs to let it "season" then freeze or cook, you can always make stew or soup.

3. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    chicken and dumplings, coq au vin, any number of Mexican dishes, just cook it long at a low temp using a moist (stew, crock pot, braise, etc...) technique.

4. snewman

snewman Songster

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Pressure cooker is good too; same concept, just shorter time.

5. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Old birds make great chili, the stronger flavor comes through all the spices much better than a younger bird. Cook long and slow and then chop into pieces and add to your chili. Another favorite from my younger days was browning the meat and then add it to homemade pasta sauce. We would cook game this way for over two hours and the combination of spices, the acid from the tomatoes, and the game flavor was fantastic.

6. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Yummy! Thank you! What about a year old duck? Any input?

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    This link might help with the older roosters. Lots of information. No experience with homeraised ducks but I'd expect it to be similar. I braised the store bought duck for Christmas and it was great.

Cooking chickens thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=151339

I make broth with the older ones, cooking long and slow and never above a slow simmer. Add whatever spices or veggies you want to flavor the broth. Then pick the meat off the bones and use for tacos, salads, pasta dishes, casseroles, whatever. It will taste different and have a different texture than the 8 week old chicken you buy at the grocery, but if it is cooked long and slow and kept moist while cooking, it will be tender.

Good luck!

8. CrazyFowlFreak

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Great info, thank you all so much [​IMG]

9. Mugen

Mugen In the Brooder

May 16, 2009
    I like old chickens! Boil them with little flavoring, chop them up, and eat them with lime and salt. I eat them like a caveman or dog! Argh!!! [​IMG]

10. briana1975

briana1975 Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Crock pot!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: