How Old Is Your Oldest Chicken?

12 years and still laying. I had one live to be 18 years old. An Ameraucana RIR cross. Basically an EE. I had her stuffed and mounted when she died.

10 yr old (at the youngest, didnt have her til she was a few years old) golden lakenvelder hen, think she stopped laying in the late spring, as I haven't gotten an egg from her.

Quote:
She's a buff Silkie. The Silkies are exceptionally long lived. Her eggs look normal but the EE had flattened looking eggs. She actually "greyed" towards the end. The feathers around her face grew in white and her muff beard was no longer up under her beak. It has sagged maybe an inch below it. I forgot to tell the taxidermist that she had a muff and it looked like he tried to slick it down with some sort of a starch.

My 1st 4 chickens ever are 11months old, I just lost one last week to unknown causes. Fine one day, dead the next??
sad.png
(production birds-IDK if that makes a difference?) but I have 7 babies(14wks) that are pure birds so hopefully they will not have short lives!

I have a 6year old EE hen and she is still doing great! Then I have a 5 year old Delaware hen named Sonnie. My next oldest was a 4 1/2year old BBR Old English Game hen bantam, but she passed away yesterday morning. She was probably around 5 or 6 though since she was given to us when she was a year or two old.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom