how old till I can clip wings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mattfouse, Jan 27, 2009.

1. mattfouse

mattfouse New Egg

Jan 27, 2009
    Hello everyone, I am new here. I live in baltimore maryland in the middle of the city. My wife and I just recently decided to get 5 chicks to raise for eggs. We got 3 welsummers and 2 delewares. They are in my basement now with a heat lamp set up for them. They are 3 and a half weeks old now and are starting to fill out with their real feathers. My question is how old should they be till I cut their wings? They are starting to jump and fly out of their space everytime I open their box to feed them.

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

I know that you will find lots of help here (lots of fun too!!!) [​IMG]

If you go up to the blue line above on this page, click on SEARCH. On the Search Page, type in "clipping wings". You will find many references (most are under Managing Your Flock). Lots of discussion on this topic!! I think that there is even a link to a video!! [​IMG]

Good Luck!!

Cindy

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    I wouldn't think you would want to clip wings that early. They are like little kids learning to walk. flying is the way they escape danger. I may be wrong but I think if you do it to early they won't learn how? We just put screen covers on our brooder boxes.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by